Thursday, April 10

"It isn't the stork, it isn't the stork, it isn't the stork at all!" lyrics from Once Upon a Mattress

Little bit of background on the title. These lyrics are from a song in Once Upon a Mattress (OUAM) in which the mute king is trying to explain the birds and the bees to his son...the son isn't that bright and isn't really getting what the mute king is trying to say. IF throws this line into a WHOLE other light:

I emailed my T-TTC sister (via TheNest) and we were talking about how this (having a baby) shouldn't be as hard as it is, here is an excerpt from my email:

The whole thing is absurd! This isn't how having children is supposed to be!
It's supposed to just "BAM!" happen…

I know what you mean about "Let me just be pregnant already!" Last night, I was having one of those aching moments (I think part of the reason for sitting on the couch). I just wanted to be pregnant…to go upstairs and look at the "nursery" room and have it all set up, to pick out clothes and shop for this little person, knowing that soon we would be holding our child. GRR!

I read on somebody's blog the other day, what will they say when Jr. asks "Where did I come from?" "Well, you came from a lab…" It really is like the old concept of the stork…but a lot more complex.
It isn't precisely 'the stork', but for some of us to get pregnant it takes: a TEAM of doctors and nurses, a slew of drugs and needles, repeatedely displaying your privates (external AND internal) to strangers, possible someone to donate missing elements...all in the hopes that eventually you will get those two lines on a pee-stick, and 9 months later to pop a healthy, beautiful baby (or two) out. Sounds like a whole lot to go through for something that teenagers manage to do quite easily.

If it were a matter of putting in a request to the 'stork' and having him/her drop a bundle down the chimney I'm more than willing to foot the bill for that. Honestly though, how are any of us who go through all of this ever going to explain to our kids where babies come from! It's an entirely 'foreign' thing we're going through here. I guess the simple answer is...God.

This whole thing is undoubtedly a leap of faith. Will it be all for naught? Or will we eventually be parents? (preferably before we're broke and living in a cardboard box over a sewer grate). GOD PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE ANSWER IS! I PROMISE I WILL NEVER SWEAR AGAIN, AND THAT I WILL VOLUNTEER MORE, AND DO WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT ME TO DO! (Do you think bribing will work?)

On the other hand would we want children to be aware of how difficult it is sometimes to get pregnant? Not that they're like us and think this whole thing is as easy as it sounds in our Sex Ed/Health classes, and not that they think it's REALLY hard and don't bother protecting themselves.

1 comment:

sadie607 said...

Good blog :~) Before my MIL knew about T-TTC, she asked Marcus "When is the stork going to bring you guys a baby?"

Marcus just looked at her and said, "The Stork is stupid." (We found out about the azoospermia three days later"

And Yay, for spring weather!!

LinkWithin