Monday, August 1

Maine! (since I am unable to find any witty quotes about the state)

We had a decent trip there and back. We left around noon on Thursday and stopped at BIL and SIL's house in NH. The girls loved playing with each other and I think C was kind of sad to see us leave right after breakfast on Friday. I'm sure she got over it quickly though, as it was her 2nd birthday and her grandma and aunt and uncle were coming for the weekend later in the day.

We got on the road and soon we were in Maine. I've never been to Maine before. We stopped in Portland to do some sight seeing: We visited the Portland Headlight Lighthouse, which was pretty cool, and we took Ave to a little beach, which she absolutely LOVED!

We stopped at this place and were completely disappointed! We kept hearing about Lobster Rolls, so my mom ordered one for us to share: YUCK! Cold lobster on a hot dog bun, with some lettuce. If it had at least been hot it would've been better. We also had clam chowder, lobster bisque, and Ave had chicken fingers and fries. None of it was good and was actually quite bad...really disappointing, particularly since it cost $42! We would've been better off just ordering a lobster (which we never did).
In the afternoon we checked in to our B&B, which we loved...what a great place! We had a suite, which was wonderful, because it was big enough for my mom, Ave, and me, and of course all of our crap! The owners were great and so helpful. Afterward we headed over to the rehearsal for my friend's wedding (the whole point of this trip): I was reading.



Saturday morning we got up, had breakfast and planned on going into Freeport to check out LL Bean. As I was putting Ave in her car seat I noticed this------>; Oh yea, know what is? A Deer Tick, oh and guess who it was on? Ave. We hauled her back out of the car to talk to the B&B owners about what to do, they found us an urgent care clinic and away we went. Fortunately the tick had not been there very long (maybe 12 hours) and it wasn't deep in, there was no sign of it having begun feeding. The NP felt pretty confident that we didn't have to worry about Lyme's Disease (oh, yea, Maine is an "epidemic" state for Lyme's Disease) since we had found it pretty quick. That was our excitement!

Afterward we headed to LL Bean, didn't buy anything there, besides a few postcards, but Ave had a blast coloring on their chalk wall (definitely a must in our house reno). Even the Outlet was way over priced, although my mom did find Ave a little book bag for cheap. Afterward we had lunch here: OH MY GOODNESS! FINALLY GOOD FOOD! I was really wanting the Caesar Salad, but they used raw eggs in it, so I went with a burger (YUM!!!) and my mom had a Roasted Portabello Mushroom Salad. And get this, it was HALF the price of the place the day before.
We headed back to the B&B to put little miss down for a nap before the wedding. Everything for the wedding went well: It was in a beautiful location, my friend looked awesome, as did her sisters. The reception was really nice too, dessert was delicious...vanilla butter cream cake, with a variety of pies to choose from as well.

In the morning we got up and away we went: Home to NY, 7 hours and 2 pit stops later we were HOME!

Click here if you want to see all of our pictures!

6 comments:

Queenie. . . said...

Your food experience wasn't indicative of Maine food at all--you probably ended up in tourist trap dumps. . .one of the pitfalls of traveling in Maine in the summer. They know they can jack up the prices and serve crap food because people from out of state still pay. That lobster roll isn't what a real one would look like! (And lettuce on lobster roll. . .yuck! That's not authentic at all!). I wish I'd seen that you were going--I would've sent you to the best lobster place, and it was right on your way! Next time you go to NH, you'll have to make a short detour.

Sorry that the in-law situation hasn't changed much. They should be nicer to you!

sadie607 said...

I love Ave's blue polka dot dress. I can't believe how old she's looking these days. She's beautiful. I have nothing to add about the food because well... I don't like food :~)

Sorry the bride was kind of weird about the rehearsal dinner. I've always wanted to go to to Maine. I was hoping to get up there while we were in CT but never had the chance.

sadie607 said...

Oh and as for the tick OMG I'm so glad you found it early. Yuck yuck.

My (In)fertile Confessions said...

Sounds like a nice trip! I would love to visit Maine and go back to NY one day!

Anonymous said...

the trips sounds wonderful!
I am glad you caught the tick early on

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I am so glad you had such a great time! Maine is one of my "must visit" places.

You look beautiful!!!!! Wo glad you guys are doing well.

LinkWithin