Wednesday, November 4

First Night

We survived! I was seriously concerned that something was going to happen in the night. There wasn't much sleep though...

I seem to be having engorgement issues...particularly on the right side (which had surgery twice). I talked to my mom and we both think that perhaps the 2nd surgery (or 1st) compressed some ducts...there's a lot of milk there, but no matter the method of trying to get it out (express, nursing, pumping etc)....it only comes out in droplets and nothing major. I spent about 3 hours last night massaging, showering, expressing and icing...trying to get the swelling to go down.

Avelyn was good through the night...we were up a couple of times...Matt slept quite a bit...I managed to get some sleep in the morning once my boob issues were lessened.

We'll see how it continues....

5 comments:

SupersammyG said...

congrats! She is so pretty! As for the boob issues. I found using the heating pad while masaging helpful when I was engorged. Hope that helps!

Rotten said...

Hey, if you keep this up, you can be a part of the group who is trying to post every day in the month of November. :) (and might I add how impressive that would be with a newborn in the house!!)

So glad the first night went well. I agree with SupersammyG... a heating pad is ridiculously soothing on engorged boobs.

Such an exciting time for you guys. Enjoy your new little one.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I have to third the heat compress. When mine were like that I would massage with this heating pad that has some sort of organic material that heats up in the microwave. It was really soft so I could manuever around the breast to where ever it hurt. At one point I even left the house a few times with some Thermacares in my bra!

Delenn said...

Glad to see you guys managing. Its really hard the first 6-8 weeks, but it sounds like you have family around to help (or hinder as the case may be!).

Loved seeing her lovely pictures!

Photogrl said...

Yay for a good first night!

I hope you get some relief from teh engorgement soon!

LinkWithin