Tuesday, November 3

We're home!

We're finally HOME! We were discharged this morning and home around 11:00am. We're all doing well. The dogs are already very protective and loving of Avelyn!

Now here are the details of the "Great Event":

Friday I had the NST/BPP and all looked good; I was to call my doctor on Monday about scheduling an induction for this week.

Saturday we got up and went to the store; I was there until about 2pm (6 hours). My back was bothering me a bit and I felt a bit achy/crampy. I went home baked some brownies, cooked dinner...Matt got home around 8 and we ate dinner and watched a movie.

I had started having some mild contractions around 6:30-7:00pm, but didn't think too much of them (I'd had the same thing the morning before and it had stopped after a couple of hours). Slowly they were getting closer together. Finally we decided to just go to bed (around 12), but that lasted for all of 15 minutes....it was not too comfy to be laying down. Every time I had a contraction I felt like I had to pee, so I kept getting up to go to the bathroom. At one point I thought to myself, "I wonder if my water will ever break", and then I felt a "POP". I expected to get out of bed and be gushing everywhere, but it was just barely a trickle. I called the hospital and said to them what had been happening and they said to come in.

We got to the hospital around 1:00am (my parents and sister, and Matt's mom and sister arrived a few minutes later). I was doing all right....but felt a lot of discomfort in my back.

Around 2:30am I was kneeling on a pillow, just breathing through the contractions and ignoring everyone in the room. Around 2:45am I started feeling really strong urges to push....but fought against them (the Dr wasn't here and there were 2 other labors in progress). Finally the Dr arrived and they let me start pushing.

I pushed for about 4-5 contractions and she was born. I had some slight tearing (needed a few stitches). The placenta was stuck and the dr had to literally reach in me and pull all of it out: I think that and being stitched without being really numbed hurt more than anything. Even the contractions weren't that painful...more of a burning.

I did however, during pushing, tell DH we're adopting the rest or he could give birth next. I didn't have any meds (pain included) and DH was an awesome coach (he was perfect). So while the doctor was fixing me up Matt went with Avelyn to get weighed and introduce her to the rest of our family. It all went really fast: I asked to use the Jacuzzi when we got there and never even got the chance :-(

Around 4:30am everyone went home and we were left alone for a bit...Matt and I tried to get some sleep.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better, easier experience...and we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful or more perfect daughter...she is well worth all of the struggles and frustrations of the past 3 years.

Now for your viewing pleasure :-) PICTURES!!!!!

The slideshow isn't really in order and we still have to get the pictures off the other 6 cameras that were there.

Avelyn Margaret
November 1, 2009
2:37am
8lbs 5oz 21" long

14 comments:

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Welcome home! Hope you have a good first night. The photos are great - she is a beautiful little girl!

Liddy said...

Welcome home. She is perfect!

Christina said...

She is beautiful, and it's so good to hear from someone who went med-free as I'm considering doing that myself. Congratulations on your perfect little girl!

Jendeis said...

She's so beautiful!!

I love the shot of Matt doing "The Heisman" with her. :)

Love the first shot of Sage and Thyme. They look like they are grinning at the camera.

Miss said...

she is GORGEOUS!!!

but, why oh why can't I view the slideshow??? =(

Rotten said...

She is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy those wonderful new moments at home together as a new family.

Melissa G said...

Jess, she is absolutely gorgeous. Welcome home.

I'm so glad to hear everything went so well. Thank you for the update, and for posting the birth story so soon!

Can't wait to hear more about Avelyn!

VA Blondie said...

Welcome home! You have a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

Janna said...

She has the cutest lips!!! Congrats on a med free birth. Very impressive!

sadie607 said...

She's beautiful. I'm so glad you got the birth you always wanted and I love all the pictures. So so sweet. Congratulations!!! You're a mommy!

Anna said...

Happy Birthday baby Avelyn.

Glad you're home with your very beautiful baby girl.
Soooo gorgeous!

All the best to you and your newly expanded family!
Many blessings!
Anna

Photogrl said...

Welcome home!

She is just SO beautiful!

littlezen said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful!!

Nancy, Near Philadelphia said...

Congratulations! She is lovely. And I like her name so much.

LinkWithin