Friday, January 30

Bethany Christian Services

In the mail we received our information packet from BCS: I've been in touch with them today and asked them questions. So far I am really impressed with them...more so than the other agencies. They are willing to work with us in spite of our distance from Clifton Park (Albany). I also asked them about infertility treatments (they allow you to proceed up until a pregnancy, then you're put aside until afterwards.

One of the things that I really like with them is that they have a sliding fee scale. The less money you make the less you pay...which is awesome for us. Someone on the boards had mentioned that they require you be a stay at home parent or take an extended "maternity" leave: They do not. YIPPEE!!!!

The only fees they seek prior to placement are for the application, home study, and profile: The max out of pocket is around $5000. After placement occurs you then pay whatever the balance due is (anywhere from $9,500-$25,000). This really works for us, because it would certainly give us time to save the money.

One of the things I found interesting was that they require adoptive parents of Caucasians and Hispanics to have 1 or no children. I don't know why, but that just strikes me as a bit odd. They explain it's that there are more bi-racial and black child and they are more flexible because there are more of those children who need homes. I guess that's understandable.

Now we just have to decide when we want to start the process. Whether after this cycle (if it doesn't work) or until after we've run our gamut of treatments, which if all failed it would be June of this year. Now we wait...

1 comment:

The Wife said...

BCS finally emailed me back about my marriage length rule question and said that they don't have one. However we liked JFS so much that I'm not worried about it. As for the racial bit, CCC had the same standard which I don't necessarily agree with.
Because of the waiting list thing and estimates of it taking 1 to 3 years to get placed, we're going to start soon I think. I'm afraid we'll go through 2-3 years of fertility stuff with no results and then have to wait another 1-3 years to get matched, so I'm covering all the bases :).

LinkWithin