Sunday, January 25

-5* at 9am

That was the temperature this morning. The sun was out and it looked to be a beautiful day. Then I checked the thermometer: MINUS 5! That's right. It was a bit cold.

It's been a better day today than the two before. Although I feel emotionally exhausted, like you do after a long hard crying jag (which I haven't done). We went to church this morning: my MIL and I were doing coffee hour. I made a dropped chocolate pie and maple bread pudding, she made an orange roll and a linzer tart.

Once we got home I decided that I wanted, and in some way needed, to go work on the nursery. I finished touching up the paint, then taped off the border and painted that. I think it looks pretty good. I don't know how well it's going to look once the tape is pulled off. I'm thinking that we may get a small wood border just to cover whatever mishaps.

Then I decided that I wanted to go do something that I haven't done in at least 7 years: Ice skating. The rink in town finally opened. It's nothing fancy, just a flooded section of our local park. I begged Matt for almost 2 hours to go with me and he wouldn't (BRAT!). Even the thought that I could fall and crack my head and die, didn't convince him to go. Finally I trudged off alone.

When I got there, there were 3 guys...probably late 20s being goofs and fooling around. I was on the ice no more than a few minutes when they decided to go: Fine by me...I'd rather look a fool by myself. I skated around for a good 10 minutes, then my feet were freezing. I did manage to NOT fall though. I still remember how to stop and turn, skate backwards and on one leg. I'm sure if I went every day, even if only for 15 minutes, I'd probably get back to being as good as I was before (which wasn't great or anything).

2 comments:

K.T. said...

Thank you for the note on ICLW. As we drove into in-law land my eye caught the outdoor rink in town. I suggested we take the neices to go ice skating. We couldn't because it was only 8 degrees and they are little and because we didn't know where to find them skates. I bet you had such a good release to just spend that time alone on the ice. The cold fresh air sometimes is the best thing.

katd said...

Look at you little ice skater:) It's freezing here, too! But now I want to go ice skating:)

LinkWithin