Monday, October 27

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

~Pooh's Little Instruction book, inspired by AA Milne

It's already over...How the heck did that happen?! Last thing I knew it was Friday evening! I honestly think that weekends should be extended, or Mondays, at the very least, should be optional.

Saturday I did absolutely NOTHING! That's right, me, nothing. Oh, I cooked dinner, don't know if that counts. I putzed around the house all morning, walking from room to room, never settling to one thing. I've been a bit scattered the past week or so. In the afternoon Matt came home and I ended up on the couch reading a book and fell asleep (only for 30 minutes). It was just that kind of day: It rained the whole day and it was just blah!

Sunday morning I got up and had to go to work (inventory), but I was home by 10am which was nice. We have some big-shots coming from our corporate office today, so I spent most of Sunday morning baking desserts (peanut butter and jelly bars and cran-apple crisp). In the afternoon we went outside and stacked another row of wood, as well as cleaned up all of the outside stuff and put it away for the winter. Just have to empty out a couple more flower baskets and plant some bulbs and it's done! YAY! Of course the woodpile is nowhere NEAR being done yet: Argh!

I started working on some Christmas projects: I didn't get very far before I was called away to dinner. This is a super-easy pattern that I had gotten for a table runner, but I'm changing it a bit and making it a wall hanging. If you click on the picture you can see that the blue has silver swirls in it, kind of like a snow storm. More to come...

After we got home from dinner at my parents' I forced Matt to play a game of Scrabble with me. Of course, 15 minutes into the game I remembered why I hate playing Scrabble with him: It's because he can make a 3 letter word worth 40-something points!

I actually managed to clear my tray of letters and came out with a few good words of my own. He still beat me though. I have the whole winter to practice. Especially since the TV is bye-bye.

That's right: We got rid of dish.network. I was asked several times why I was canceling: "There's nothing on TV worth paying for" and "I'd rather heat my house this winter" were my reasons. They tried offering me $10 a month credit for 1 year's service: $120, you're kidding me right?! We'll save over $600 a year without paying for programming. We did bump our netf.lix from 2 to 3, but even that is only an additional $3.00/month.

In all honesty, we don't watch much TV...if we watch anything it's movies. The people at work don't understand how I can not watch TV, I don't understand how they have time to watch TV.

While cleaning outside I found these little gems: I'm afraid that the poor things are sorely confused as to the time of the year. I don't blame them though, as we've had some days in the high 30s and 1 day in which the mountain tops had snow, but it once again went back up to 55+ during the day.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

The flowers are so pretty. I also love the quilted wall hanging you've started on. Its going to be awesome.

Kristin said...

BTW...I mentioned you today.

Mary said...

We got rid of the TV too...and honestly, the only thing DH misses is sports. On Saturday, I took him out for wings and to watch the world series, so it's not too terrible for him. Life is so peaceful without that constant racket!

(ICLW)

SassyCupcakes said...

Beautiful flowers. It's Spring here at the moment but the heat is making any flowers curl up into crisp little balls. That looks positively luscious comparatively.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

I'm impressed with you for kicking the TV habit -- I spend so much time watching, I sometimes wonder if I have a problem. I spent the first 22 years of my life without cable but now have trouble imagining life without it. It's sad. Enjoy the TV-free life!!

sadie607 said...

Sounds like a relaxing weekend. The scrabble board made me laugh I love that you took a picture of it (that's something I would do)

Elle Charlie said...

I love the wall hanging - it's gorgeous!

Those are some brave flowers you found! :)

Gettysburg Homestead said...

On my screen the blue looks purple. LOL. Thanks for clearing that up.

I do not watch TV much as I have other things I enjoy or have to be doing. Most of the time I have music on the radio or in the CD player. I'm thinking of pulling out the Christmas music since it is so chilly here too.

I hear you on the wood thing. We have a long way to go. LOL.

Mary

LinkWithin