Thursday, June 19

A Dream Come True…

a slight hyperbole, but not too much.

The other night a friend and I headed to Philadelphia for a book signing. A book signing for what is one of my most favorite series, Outlander, authored by Diana Gabaldon. I’ve never been to a book signing.

For a while, I’ve wanted a signed copy of one of her books, only so that I could say I had one. I never saw the point in ordering a signed copy through the mail…seemed kind of like cheating.IMG_0458

I now have a few friends who are fans of Outlander {per my prodding to read them}, after years of having no one else who even knew about the books: I convinced one of them to go with me to the Q&A and book signing at the Free Library in Philly. Babysitters in place we headed for the city of Brotherly Love…

We had a quick dinner at the Kite & Key on Callowhill Street; which was really, really good. As I told Jill, I am always up for a good burger and fries!

IMG_0677

The food was delicious {deep fried onions and bacon on a cheeseburger? yes please!} and the place was pretty neat inside, definitely popular as an after-work hangout for the 30 and under group.IMG_0670Someone wasn’t a clean-plater….Kite & KeyIMG_0675Then we headed over to The Free Library Philadelphia for the book signing…it was hot out, and muggy: The temp was around 93*.IMG_0680And then this happened….

For the boobs who completely forgot to stalk the ticket sale website to order their tickets {I blame it on not living in my own home}.IMG_0682It turned out ok because those of us upstairs were the first in line to get our books signed!IMG_0685It’s still kind of hard to believe that I was standing next to Dr. G; not so much in a star-struck manner, but more because it was literally for 20 seconds.  The talk and Q&A were ok, obviously being on a screen was a bit of a bummer, but her talk was pretty much verbatim to every other one I’ve heard online, and people weren’t all that creative with their questions {there were a few good ones}.

photo

Afterward we decided to walk over to Logan Square to check out the Swann Memorial Fountain.IMG_0691{In which a handful of kids were splashing around at 9:30pm; frankly, I was ready to join them}.IMG_0694Good-bye Philadelphia! I hope to visit you again someday. We didn’t get to walk around the library at all which was a bit disappointing, because it is absolutely huge and seemed more like a museum to me than a library!IMG_0696

The one thing that did really stick with me {there will be a podcast available next week}, was Diana saying in regards to writing “You have to make time, because you’ll never find it” when talking about how she started writing the first Outlander book, as a mom of 3 under 6 and holding two full time jobs. It’s true…we’re all given the same number of hours in the day, it’s up to us to figure out how to make the most of them.

It was a long day: We didn’t get home until 2 {due to a missed turn on I-476 and a desperate search for a gas station at 10pm}.

Was it worth it? It was fun, it was a great experience, and I’m glad I went, but it’s not something I feel I need to do again {something about sleep being a bit more important}. There is something to be said for having an author sign a book when it’s a much smaller venue and you can actually chat with the person.

No comments:

LinkWithin