Thursday, September 26

The Boys’ Sailboat Quilts

Last night I realized something. While I know I was excited about the boys’ sailboat quilts being finished, and getting them shipped out to be quilted, I don’t think I ever even wrote about them. Today that is remedied.

DSC_0124

I was beyond pleased with how they came out. So much better than I thought they would. They’re the perfect size on top of a twin bed, with good overhang and placement.

The names took a bit of work to do. I didn’t have stabilizer to do the applique stitching around their names, which resulted in a bit of puckering, but once they were ironed it worked out ok; I ended up holding the fabric extremely taut while I stitched, so that it couldn’t pull the fabric. I had to do a few of the semaphore blocks a couple of times, because my measurements were off.

DSC_0128

And yes, those odd looking things at the bottom of the quilts are the flag call signs for their name spellings.

DSC_0130

I ended up not having enough of certain fabrics and having reorder quantities to finish the quilts, which ended up getting a bit pricy, but for counting the rest of the fabric was bought 2 years ago {at least} I wasn’t getting too worked up about, I was just glad to be able to find the fabric I needed!

I also found this awesome fabric for the backs of the quilts. I chose another print from this line, Northcott’s Sail Away, to be the binding. It’s a white anchor on red background. Now I just need to figure out how to cut fabric for a bias binding: No idea on that one.

I have enough of this left, that if I really want to I can make throw pillows or curtain valances for the boys’ room. It was just too perfect to pass up! Makes me excited for renovations and getting the boys and girls in their own big kid rooms!

I really can’t wait for these quilts to be back home. It’s perfect handing sewing weather for quilt bindings! Put a movie on, climb under a quilt and stitch away….

No comments:

LinkWithin