Friday, May 3

eBooks? What are those?!

What are eBooks?

eBooks are “books” that are sold in a digital format {i.e. PDFs, Kindle, Nook etc} , allowing them to be easily accessed and transported.

The great thing about eBooks is that they very often are filled with excellent, relevant content, as these are, but that most publishers would deem not highly marketable. Meaning they never make it to press, they never get put on a shelf in a bookstore or library. In this day and age it is becoming harder and harder to find GOOD Christian material, because the margin of profit on those kinds of books just isn’t there.

eBooks give writers the chance to be published, to get there words out to others, to help; which is every writer’s dream. eBooks allow that to happen by removing the middle men {agents, publishers, book stores…all of it}.

Which leads into the next concern….

How much do eBooks cost?

eBooks range in price, just like any book, but unlike hard copy books, most of the time they will be significantly less, because all of the middle men have been removed and they are kept in a digital format {no printing expenses}. You can find ebooks from 99C to $40 or so dollars…it all depends on who’s putting them out and what’s in them. You can guarantee if the book is a popular hardcover or paperback then the digital copy isn’t going to be much cheaper.

Since every single one of these books is written by people just like me and you, women/bloggers, these aren’t books that mainstream publishers are going to be flocking to get in print. That doesn’t mean that the quality or the content is not there. Because it IS, it ABSOLUTELY IS! Remember, those publishers are really only concerned with making a buck, not with getting their words into the hands of those who need it most.

How to use eBooks?

You can use an eBook just like any paper book. The only difference is that it is not paper. The nice thing with eBooks  is that you CAN print them out, if you’re more of a paper kind of gal {or guy}, which I am. I much prefer to have a book in my hands, so that I can easily mark up the pages with notes, or flip back to another section. {All of the eBooks in this bundle are PDFs, which makes them compatible with nearly every single eReader device, as well as easy to view on your computer or print}.

I honestly don’t read many books on my iPad. I store them all on my computer, printing out the ones that are relevant to me NOW, and put them in a 1” binder. That way I can easily access, use, and make notes in my books.

What do you do with eBOOKS?

You read them, just as you would any book, but you don’t have to store them on your shelves or be overwhelmed by their sheer presence. You can gift them to people. Next weekend is Mother’s Day; how about gifting a few of the books to the special ladies in your life.

You can gift files to people that you know would be blessed with those words. Purchasing an ebook is like purchasing any other book, you receive one book for the price paid. Yea, you could share the file with your closest 50 friends and no one would know, but it’s really not the right thing to do. This is not just some random PDF documents. These are actual people who are supporting their families through self publishing.


eBooks Can be a Blessing?
*To the author’s who are getting to share their words and wisdom with you while supporting their families
*To the blogger’s promoting it, who are sometimes making a percentage on each sale, that will in some way bless their own families
*To those who read these wonderful books, and can in turn bless their families with new found hope and knowledge, while making their homes.

All of us are hoping to provide for our families, to pay for groceries and gas, all of those little things that seem to end up costing a lot of money in our lives, to be good stewards of the gifts and tools that God has given us.

May I be REAL with you?

To be honest things have been tight around here, as it is in most every house in this country. For the past year I’ve been contemplating starting my own business, becoming a part of Blessings Unlimited. For one reason or another the funds just haven’t presented themselves, and it just hasn’t happened. I’ve been praying about whether or not this is just not a direction God wants me to go in…and just haven’t had that slap-upside-the-head clarity yet.

I don’t blog for money {to date…I’ve made a total of $12.47 on my blog, in the almost 6 years that I’ve been blogging}. I blog because I love interacting with my readers and other bloggers, I blog because I love writing, I blog because I love {over} sharing with you about my life, and being a part of your’s.

Why else would I continue to put literally hours a week into reading and review books, writing, editing words and photos, designing graphics and my blogs design if I wasn’t making money doing it? The LOVE OF IT!
My husband asks me this constantly.

eBooks are relevant to our lives NOW: As wives, as mothers, as grandmothers, as homeschooling parents, and as bloggers. I ask you, the next time you see someone promoting an eBook or here about a bloggers new eBook, check it out. You never know...it might be just the eBook you need to read and you might have just helped pay for a little girl or boys piano lesson.

No comments:

LinkWithin