Saturday, October 20

Thoughts on Heading to Allume

This week is it, Allume! It’s been 8 months since I bought my ticket. I’m not going to lie, I’ve had moments of wondering if this was the right thing, whether I should be going or not, how things will be at home, with me gone for 3 days, how the kids will handle me being gone for 3 days {Ave in particular}. Even though I have my concerns, I know, beyond a doubt, that I need this time away. I need to step back, regroup, and prepare for the threenage years and toddlerhood {times 3} that’s coming my way {not to mention the impending birthday-bonanzas and holiday season!}

While this is going to be an insanely busy few days, not to mention the weeks before hand to get ready, it also is going to be a time of rest. It has to be.

I’m excited, and nervous. I can’t decided whether it’s better to view the entire thing as a series of college lectures and go in with that mindset of learning, or how else to perceive this, because the lectures thing is the only thing I can wrap my head around. I’ve never been to a conference, ever, I’ve never even been to an event like Women of Faith or something. This is a first time experience for me.

I’m rooming with ladies that I barely know {Hi Mandy, Kalyn and Kristina}, which is exciting and terrifying at the same time. I’m driving down with two of them {Mandy and Kalyn}, which will give us some time to get to know each other, but I’m deathly afraid of those “awkward” silences, and I have no idea why, because silence is NOT a BAD thing, neither is conversation.

I’m not sure what to expect of any of the other women attending. I don’t know if the majority are going to be deep, intense Christians or if they’re going to be more like me, wanting more from their Faith, but being nowhere near having God as their default in life. Will they be as introverted as myself or more “in your face” and intense? Will they think that I’m rude {I don’t mean to be}?

I’ve been trying to figure out a wardrobe for this weekend. Which let me just has not been easy. I have not gone shopping for myself, for new clothes, since before I was pregnant with Ave. After having 4 kids in 2 years my previous clothes do not fit the way they used to, funny how that works. I’ve been questing here and there for the past few months trying to find things I like. I’ve had a few hits, but more misses than I care to mention. {It would be totally ok if I just wore a full spanx suit all weekend, right? Particularly since I didn’t lose that 50lbs I was hoping to lose before the conference} I’ll probably have more of a post on my fashion makeover after Allume.

5f7dd50a130611e2a04e123138141145_7
I even went so professional as to have business cards made up. Let me tell how unreal it was to open that box! I’ve only ever had business cards once in my life, when I was HR assistant, and I don’t think I ever even handed one of those out.

All this to say that I am definitely venturing outside of my comfort zone this coming weekend and I would certainly appreciate your prayers; for me, for my mom and mother-in-law who are taking care of the kids, for Matt who is going to be home alone for 2 days {albeit only at night} and then have the kids all to himself. Yea, we’d appreciate the prayers :-)

And yet, despite all of this worry, I feel incredibly blessed to be going to this thing. I’m going with almost my entire Mastermind Blogging Group, so I’m certainly not doing this alone {which I think I would be freaking out and probably not going if I didn’t know a soul there}.

I have a husband and family who are willing to step up and make it possible for me to go, whether it be my ticket, borrowing a car, or taking care of my kids. It’s incredible how the blessings have flown down. Now I hope that the next week is fantastic and so much more than I could have ever expected. I have a feeling it will be.

Oh, and I will definitely be online. I’ll be tweeting/facebooking/posting as much as I have time for.

PS. I'm linking up with Mom's Mustard Seeds to "meet" other Allumies

No comments:

LinkWithin