Monday, July 30

All the world's a stage…

And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages. ~ As You Like It {Shakespeare}
I have loved the theater for as long as I remember, whether it was in school or out. For most of my adolescents and teens I was on a stage, dreaming of the day Hollywood would come knocking.

Obviously, Hollywood never came knocking, but the fun I had! Whether it was a musical, a play, or a variety show, it is there that I come alive. There isn’t much that can be compared to the thrill and terror of waiting in the wings for your cue….praying you don’t miss it, remembering that “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me”.

But it is a sad day, the theater that I have performed at most in the past 20 years is in threat of being closed. For many history7years they have been slowly raising funds to restore the beautiful theater, where Teddy Roosevelt once spoke. {Read more about its history here}

No longer will restoring the building be enough. Due to the digital age our theater will be closing it’s doors, permanently, as of January 1, unless $70,000 can be raised to update the projectors.

While on the Historical Register that is not enough to save the theater. Without the income from movie viewings the theater will be unable to stay open, meaning that before too long it may be razed or converted into something else.

history11
One little girl is doing an incredible amount of work to save the theater!

I’m not one to jump on different bandwagons and be asking for donations, but for this I will. One of my biggest dreams is for the day that I can see my kids perform on the stage where I did, and hope to again. Unless money can be raised, that won’t be happening.

Please, if you have it in you to donate something, even just $7.00 (the cost of an evening ticket at our theater), it would mean so incredibly much to our community. Our theater is the only one for 40 miles around and the only Arts facility in our county.

You can donate directly through the theater’s website. Or if it’s easier, send a paypal donation to my email address and I will see that the theater receives your donation, along with your name/address, as it is tax deductible.

Help Save the Walton Theater! A Truly Historic Place! @jess_LITWH http://tinyurl.com/d69kcc9 or http://tinyurl.com/c3cfmgy <------Click to Tweet!

No comments:

LinkWithin