Monday, June 11

Seize the Day!

Yesterday my mom, sister and I headed to the Big Apple, to see NEWSIES! You see, my sister is turning 20 on July 101_763811 and I’m turning 30 on July 21 {10 years and 10 days apart}. For our birthdays our parents got us tickets to see Newsies!

It was fantastic!
{Albeit somewhat different from the movie}

We met up with my brother and his wife and mother-in-law (who’s visiting from Hong Kong) at a little Greek restaurant a couple of blocks from the theater. The place was really good and wasn’t outrageously priced, plus it was real food…not processed garbage.

Back to the show.

We had our tickets in advance, since today was supposed to be the last show, but it’s been so popular that they’ve pushed the close date back twice now (November). The line, for those with tickets, wrapped around an ENTIRE city block. We couldn’t even believe it. Fortunately we only waited about 15 minutes before the line moved, we got to our seats and they started flashing the house lights.

Growing up I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the movie! What’s not to love about it? Lots of cute guys dancing around in  1900s style clothes with those hats (by the way…My dad and Matt have worn those hats since before Yes, my sister is really that much taller than me. I'm the midget in the family.they’ve suddenly become popular!) The songs are catchy! The story is great! It’s an all around wonderful family movie!

Back to the show.

Umm…in a word…fantasmagorical! I’m seriously hoping I can convince Matt to go see it this fall, because I think he would love it and I know I would like to see it again.

The dancing was outrageous (they won a Tony last night for best choreography)! There was one guy, Specs, (you can see him in the striped no-sleeve shirt with black glasses at 3minutes or so in the video) he was absolutely awesome! My sister and I both could tell he wasn’t just some actor/singer/dancer, but a dancer. He was great!

The guy who played Jack Kelly was great. He had a strong voice and did a great job of playing the hard/soft guy character.

The sets were crazy! Entire moveable scaffoldings that they climbed and ran all over! All in all….WELL DONE!

http://rockinmama.net/2012/02/newsies-on-broadway-a-first-look-at-the-musical-from-steve-fickinger/http://rockinmama.net/2012/02/newsies-on-broadway-a-first-look-at-the-musical-from-steve-fickinger/ http://theater.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/theater/reviews/newsies-the-musical-by-alan-menken-and-harvey-fierstein.html

Their performance, after our show at 2pm, at the Tony Awards last night.

*****Ok, just to show my age….I was 10 when the movie came out and grew up loving it. There were girls in front of us in line…maybe 15/16 going on about how much they loved Newsies {the movie} and were so excited for the show. I was getting a kick out of these kids…they weren’t even BORN when the movie came out*****

No comments:

LinkWithin