Sunday, January 22

Surviving Life with 4, 2 and Under

What I've noticed is that I am busy, but not crazy busy. Once I get one thing taken care of it's time to start on the next thing, but I don't feel overwhelmed, yet {I'll leave that for when they're awake more often and into things}.

Sleeps been going ok. We've actually had a couple of times when we've slept through one feeding {oops!} and managed to get 3-4 hours of sleep. I'm certainly tired, but that's newborns...particularly those that need to be fed every 3 hours and are rather slow. Although, I've bumped them up to level 2 nipples, which seems to be helping: They were falling asleep and flattening nipples while feeding. Their bottles are going much faster and easier now, just have to burp them a bit more frequently.

Ave is doing great. She's very interested in the babies and wanting to help and hold them. I've actually let her "feed" Henry the other day. She's 2, her attention span isn't very long, but she wants to show things to the babies (which sometimes results in being reprimanded for "throwing" things in the pack n play). There are only been 2 times that she's done something that she ended up in trouble for, and they weren't anything major.

Of course, since I spend 9-10 hours a day just feeding and diapering babies {yes, I did the math} and I can only feed 2 at a time, it means that Ave is once again being plopped in front of the television. Fortunately though we're able to keep it to a minimum since she does have her play kitchen now and we play pretend while I'm feeding babies.

Ave has also decided to climb out of her crib now after every single sleep session. Fortunately we do have a latch on her door and there really is nothing for her to get into in her room. I asked her yesterday, post nap, if she wanted me to make her crib a big-girl bed "Of course mommy". So I did.

Last night was interesting. We talked about how she needs to stay in her bed and not get out until she has asked permission to do so. She went in her bed well, but then started to cry hysterically. After an hour of trying to convince her she was ok to sleep in her big girl bed, I ended up putting the side back on the crib. I don't think she felt secure without the side there. Well try it again after I get one of those mesh rails to install. I'll have to post pictures of the room, since we rearranged it a bit too.

Other than the normal craziness we're doing ok. I keep thinking, "this is the easy stuff, just wait until the babies are awake and moving more." Oy!


6 comments:

Queenie. . . said...

I'm so glad they are all home and you are managing well. I think you'll be just fine, even when they are awake and moving more. I hope you do get some help this weekend so you can at least take a nap, though!

casprincipessa said...

How do you feed two at a time? Bouncy seats? Do tell!!

Jessica White said...

I feed two by sitting on the couch/floor/bed with my legs out in front of me with 2 of the babies between them. I've yet to figure out how to feed all three at once unless I prop one of their bottles....which I've done with Henry because he is the best eater. Of course I'm sitting right there watching him, while feeding the other too. I managed to burp 2 at once by putting one on each shoulder crossing my arms in front of me and patting their backs.

casprincipessa said...

John is self-employed which means he can make his own hours but he works a lot more now than when he was at a 9-5, so he helps when he can, but my MIL is here all day long with me.

We feed one baby at a time, but it's hard at night when I'm by myself. I'll try your system out at the next feeding.

sadie607 said...

I'm impressed that you can burp two at once. Well done. You're super mama.

Janna said...

Wow! You're amazing!!! So glad y'all are all home and getting used to each other! So glad Ave is doing well with the babies, and don't worry about the tv. :) You're one awesome mama!!!

LinkWithin