Tuesday, December 6

Happy St. Nikolaus Day!

We had a special visitor last night: St. Nikolaus! For those non-German people it's the day celebrating the original Santa Claus (yes, he was a real person). On the night of the 5th children put their shoes out to be filled with treats and small gifts by St Nikolaus.

Ave really got into this morning. I told her when I got her out of the crib that St. Nikolaus was here last night and she immediately ran down the stairs, saw the presents and started tearing them open, before I could even grab the camera!

We only got her one thing, The One Year Devotional for Pre-Schoolers: It looks like a really great little book! The devotions are short and to the point, with each day being relevant to the time of year and anything else going on. I figure we'll start on January 1, because, for some reason, I have issues with starting those kind of things in the middle or end.

She also got a couple of books and a CD from my parents for St. Nikolaus Day. Matt and I got a book called, "Growing Grateful Kids", which has been on my Amazon list since I heard a radio interview with the author, some Christmas dish towels, a candle, and Guideposts The Joys of Christmas. (Yes, my mom still gives us each gifts for St. Nikolaus Day :-P)


To all of you, I wish a Happy St. Nikolaus Day!

3 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

We've never done St Nicholas day at our house, but oh my goodness, what fun! I am a big one for stretching the gift giving across the holiday season rather than having one huge glut on Christmas morning, so yeah.. love this idea!
Have a wonderful day dear♥

Just an FSO said...

She looks so grown up!!!

Anonymous said...

Huh - so not only Russian Christmas is 14 days behind - so it the St. Nikolaus day! I know because that's my dad's name and his day is Dec. 19th...

LinkWithin