Saturday, December 10

Christmas Book Advent Countdown

Between Pinterest and other bloggers, I think this is The Thing to do this year. I didn't think I had many Christmas books from which to choose, but then I started pulling them all together, oh my. Without even trying I have 18 Christmas/Winter books, and I know of at least 2 or 3 that are missing.

Some of the books are ones I had growing up, others are ones we've bought over the years, and others are ones I've gotten for Ave; however, I have not managed to wrap any of them to do the whole unwrapping thing with Avelyn.

Here's what we've got, in no particular order:
1) The Animals' Christmas Eve
2) One Snowy Night
3) One Baby Jesus
4) The Wee Christmas Cottage of Carn-na-Ween
5) The Story of Christmas
6) God Gave us Christmas
7) Winter's Gift
8) The Polar Express
9) A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote
10) How the Grinch Stole Christmas
11) The Night Before Christmas (A Cut Paper Edition)
12) The Christmas Candle
13) Mortimer's Christmas Manger
14) The Gift of the Magi
15) Little Red's Christmas Story
16) The Mitten by Jan Brett
17) The Hat by Jan Brett
18) Silent Night
These aren't all the books, just the ones that I had sitting in the living room.

I do have a few more sitting in my Amazon shopping cart, I'm waiting to place an order Christmas gifts:
Bear Stays up for Christmas
The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey
Room for a Little One
.....and a few others.

{I do have one recommendation: If you have a Christmas Tree Shop near you, hit them up! They have a great selection of Children's Christmas books this time of year, and they're usually only a few dollars each. It's a great way to build your collection.}

I love books, and have enough of an issue with having too many of them, but I have a certain soft spot for Christmas books....I'm not even sure why. There are even a couple of books that are my books to read at Christmas time, but that's another post for another day :-)

If you're doing this, or love Christmas books, what are some of your favorites?

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Other than the wrapping, I have really enjoyed doing this. It's just been a perfect for Michael and his love of books. We unwrapped A Charlie Brown Christmas last night and he immediately smiled when he saw it. It's a good thing that we limit the number of times per day that we will read the same book to him or we would never be able to put that book down.

Carrie said...

That's a really cute idea! I got a few Christmas books this year for the kids, but I'll have to work on building up a library of really good ones!

My favorite is one my grandma got Kasen his first Christmas. It's called "A Magical Christmas" and follows Little Mouse as each of his family members try to explain to him why Christmas is magical. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has zero mention of Christ in it, which is fine if you are atheist, but I wish they had a version where one of the explanations was about Jesus' birth, ya know? Otherwise, it's adorable and I get misty-eyed every time I read it!

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Christmas-Claire-Freedman/dp/1589258282/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323563438&sr=1-1

Kateri said...

I love this idea! Makes me wish I had a child to use it on. :)

Anonymous said...

We are doing it too! He loves it. Every night after bath while getting dressed, "Another present Mama?" He knows the present is a book every night now, but the joy on his face ripping off that wrapping paper? Priceless.

LinkWithin