Tuesday, November 8

We are the Face of Quilting!

Jennifer at SewHooked.com is challenging quilters to throw off the preconceived notions of what a quilter is, and show the world how broad a spectrum of people we are!

I started quilting when I was 25, to distract me from the dealing with our infertility. My grandmother started teaching me how to sew when I was little. I've always loved fabric, but would get frustrated when sewing clothes: They never fit and always looked terrible on me. Quilting? Now that was something to try.

At my old job I was told I was the "grandma" of the group because I quilted (by someone my own age). My boss at the time was also a quilter and she was my mom's age. Many people assume I'm a boring, fuddy-duddy (which yea, I guess I am, but I was before I started quilting) because I quilt.

I've been scoffed at because I enjoy spending my free time cutting and stitching fabric to make a quilt, particularly when I could "just go to Walm.art or Bed.Bath.andBey.ond and buy one".

Regardless of what people may think a quilter is, I'll take it, because I know what a quilter is: It's one of the most varied, kindest, and generous group of people I know. I'm proud to be a quilter!

5 comments:

Jennifer Ofenstein said...

Awesome post! Thank you so much for sharing your story, I feel exactly the same way about being a quilter and the quilters in my life!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about this.. What a great way to connect with even more quilters, and while making a loud and bold statement in blog land!

Amanda said...

As you know, I'm not a quilter, but I am looking at getting a new "quilter" sewing machine (b/c the top of line machine is called a quilter). I discussed this marketing ploy with a salesperson and she commented that we all go through different stages in our sewing and that eventually, as I matured, I'd turn into a quilter.

Quite honesty, this horrified me a bit. Nothing against quilting, but there were several connotations in her statement... old people quilt, if you are a serious sewer you quilt. I personally reject this because I think there are so many ways to express yourself through sewing that it surely doesn't mean that eventually everyone turns into a quilter (I've peaked an interest in thread painting actually), but I do think quilting is a lovely art form. I get very inspired by some of the quilts, particularly the modern ones I see. I especially love it when I see the care that has gone into some of these quilts... right down to hand dying the fabrics. The amount of work is definitely intimidating to me at this point. I have have enough trouble with my rotary cutter when the precision doesn't matter.

You go girl.

Anonymous said...

YAY! And I am thankful quilters as I can barely sew on a button myself. I finally found a lady (acquaintance's mom) to make my husband a quilt for Christmas. YAY!

Anonymous said...

not doing something because it can be bought is a ridiculous idea

it will never be exactly like you want
and it will never be special

show off some of your work!!!

LinkWithin