Monday, August 8

1 down 7 more to go!


Last winter I started my Christmas quilt for our bed....I finally finished it yesterday, well the top at least. All that needed to be done was the outside black border. It took me an hour, I don't know what my procrastinating was for.

Yes, it was hot; yes, it was not easy to feed a 100" square quilt through my machine; but it's done.

Of course now that I see it laying out I notice silly mistakes: Like the middle 3 rows are not laid out in an aesthetically optimal pattern...they repeat, but it could be better. But, I am not going to pull the whole thing apart.

That's the hard thing I've noticed with bigger quilts: That it is very difficult to see the quilt as a whole, because it's a bunch of little parts.

But, it's done. Now I have to decide what I want to do with it. I know I cannot hand tie this, it's too big, so machine quilting is my answer (sending it out). What I need to decide is whether to back it in cotton or flannel, and whether to use cotton or wool batting. Any input?

As for the 7: That's right I have 7 quilts to do, plus 6 Christmas stockings, in the next 2 months. I've come up with the brilliant idea of sewing my grandfather a lap blanket for his birthday, in addition to the now 6 baby quilts I have to do. Pray for me :-P

ETA: So yea, guess what I'm doing....I'm sitting on the floor seam ripping out the right two columns to fix the quilt.



So I fixed the quilt....it didn't take me too long and was definitely worth my not being aggravated every Christmas when I look at it. The wrong one is on the left, the corrected one is on the right :-) Click on the picture: I circled the blocks that were placed wrong and drew an arrow to the block it was switched with.

3 comments:

sadie607 said...

I would back it in flannel. For some reason christmas, winter, cold, just seems to require flannel.

As far as batting I would use wool for the same reason. That seems like it would be super cozy.

I love it! Why exactly are you ripping it apart? If I was closer I would remove the seam ripper from your hands I think it's beautiful that way it is haha

sadie607 said...

Don't be mad... but I can't spot the difference. It's driving me nuts what did you change help me out haha

sadie607 said...

Okay the circles helped. I see what you did. I love it before and after the fix.

LinkWithin