Thursday, June 16

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Confucius

What a journey this is going to be! I think we finally have the doctor thing, maybe, figured out. My RE suggested Albany Med, and I think we're going with them...simply because I think that is where any hospital would transfer the babies to for NICU care. There is no NICU, that I know of, in any of the hospitals nearby. I am going to ask them about seeing an OB closer to home for routine appts, but I have a feeling that even those are going to be short lived. I can just seem the doctor's office that delivered Ave, repeatedly telling me I'm measuring large for how many weeks I am.

 We have entirely different opinions from most people on what it means to "provide" for your children or live comfortably. To most people, it's more the high-life: Paying for college, traveling, extracurricular activities, but mostly paying for college and traveling. To us, it's providing them with a loving home and a solid foundation for life.

Before we even had Ave, Matt and I had already agreed we would not be paying for our kids college educations....we would help however we could, but they would have to foot the bill and/or work through school (I did...and it was a good thing). Even without kids we would probably not be able to afford extensive vacations through Europe (unless there are some phenomenal changes at the store :-P) Nor did we ever plan on having every kid in their own room.

We TRUST GOD to provide for our family. That doesn't mean we're stupid about finances and planning, but we do trust Him to grow our family and ultimately provide for it. Definitely a leap of faith that is not easy to take, and one that needs to be recommitted to frequently.

3 comments:

sadie607 said...

You are just amazing Jess. If anyone can handle all of this it's you. You are so filled with grace and faith it's amazing. You all will have many many prayers for this journey.

Carrie said...

I agree with your definition of "providing."

A friend of mine wants more kids (she has two girls and a step-son) but her husband refuses because he worries about being able to provide for them. When I told her that my cousin has 8, she was shocked and started asking "how do they afford them? how will they afford college? how do they feed them!?" I just laughed and said that they make it work. And they do. They grow their own garden - easier to do with that many helpers! They live with the basics. They homeschool, so no need for all the newest, popular clothing brands. I doubt they have cable tv. Dad is probably the only one with a cell phone. It's doable. And you know what? Those kids are the happiest, most well-rounded and well-behaved children I have ever met.

Because they know they are loved and are secure in their family.

Money can't buy that.

Kristin said...

Jess, I absolutely LOVE your outlook and your definition of providing for your kids. My husband works in emergency services and I'm a sahm so we will never be able to afford the high life but our kids always know they are loved and have a good foundation to build their lives on.

ICLW #10

LinkWithin