Monday, March 7

"Do not plan for ventures before finishing what's at hand." Euripides

There are a few projects that we've almost completed around here, but just haven't managed to share.

After working diligently on the Christmas quilt for our room I think it's done. I planned on putting a few more borders on it, but when I put it on our bed it already covers the bed with quite a bit of a hang-over so I think it's good. Now I just have to decide if I want to hand tie it or send it out to be quilted....I have a few months to decide.

The other projects were of the wood-working kind: A new coffee table for the living room and a towel shelf for the bathroom.

Matt and I always work together with this kind of stuff. I usually draw up the plans, then we work together on cutting out the wood and assembly and then I get to finish it.

The coffee table was a simple enough design. Our old one was just too big for the room, particularly with Avelyn running around. We have a stash of pine that we keep for any projects that pop up and that worked perfectly for this piece. We haven't decided about a shelf along the bottom. We're waiting to see what Ave does with it and whether she hangs out underneath.

What I loved about the coffee table is it didn't cost us any thing: We had the pine, I had sample paint left over from choosing a house color, and we had a can of poly-acrylic left from the vanity. Love that kind of project!

The other thing we did was build a towel shelf for our bathroom out of the same oak (and stain) we use in the rest of the room. None of the towel racks I could find were right, plus they all cost several hundred dollars, and quite frankly, I'm cheap.

That's a few of the things we've been up to as we prepare for spring and the BUSY season :-)

3 comments:

manymanymoons said...

Great projects. I love when we build something that I absolutely couldn't ever find in a store. I am must more of a "supervisor" than a helper though. Don't worry, I let him takes lots of breaks. :)

raisingmiles said...

Love DIY!

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Your right your table came out great!!!!

LinkWithin