Wednesday, December 22

Covert Christmas

Have you noticed that people are afraid to say "Christmas"? I have. They do their holiday shopping, wish people a "Happy Holiday", ask if you're ready for the holidays, send out holiday cards, and listen to holiday music.

Yesterday at the doctors' the nurses would ask if I was ready for the weekend (which I understand they're being respectful). I have to go back up on Christmas Eve and the nurse was explaining (in a rather apologetic voice) that Christmas is one of their holidays, so I get the luck of the draw for an appointment...completely OK. I told her I would see her then and she said she was be off...that she'd rather work New Years (still never saying a thing about Christmas).

I'm an instigator: At that point I said, "Yea, I'd rather have Christmas Eve off instead of New Year's so I can go to church". With that, it was like a weight lifted from her...."me too" she said in a lowered voice, "We go to Midnight Mass and don't get home until 2am". We wished each other a Merry Christmas and went on our way.

I instigate at stores too...I always tell people "Merry Christmas". I said it to one lady at the grocery store and she looked at me with shock, gave me a big smile, and said "You have a Merry Christmas too".

There was a quote I heard yesterday on Family Life Network, and I wish I could remember the exact wording, it was something like this: "I will respect your religion, but not to the disrespect of my own". The general jist of it was that we're so worried about offending people with our our views that we very often deny our own religion to be politically correct.

I'm a Christian. I'm not going to stop being a Christian because it offends someone. So much of our society has become utterly ridiculous with the neutralization of religion and the removing of Christianity from society. Our Declaration of Independence says "Freedom OF Religion", not "Freedom FROM Religion". We are a nation founded in Christianity: Like it or not. Out of the 308 million people in this country, 228 million identify themselves as Christians.

What's interesting to me is how we, as Christians, are to accept all religions, but never to mention our own. There has been a war against Christianity going on in this country...what's interesting is that no other religious group is as readily persecuted for speaking their beliefs as Christians are.

The stores display menorahs and dreidels as part of the Holiday decorations, but you never see a Cross or a manger. It confuses me that it's OK to display the religious symbols of Judaism but not Christianity (let me just say that I am in no way condemning, picking on, or calling out Jews or Judaism).

I recently read a little book, two of them actually: The Case for Christmas by Lee Strobel and The Judge who Stole Christmas by Randy Singer. They were both very interesting.

The Case for Christmas was basically a factual investigation of Christmas and the birth of Jesus, as well as the origins of Christmas, and how it was the Roman Church in 300 or 400 AD who decided that Christmas would be celebrated on December 25, as was common to turn a pagan day into a Christian day. There was a whole lot more in that little book that was really just fascinating.

The Judge who Stole Christmas was a fictional book about a man who flat out refuses to stop being a part of a Creche in the town square (a public forum). There was a lot of court cases mentioned in the book (which I haven't had time to sit down and investigate) about the display of Christian symbols. There was also a lot of information about Christmas, and how throughout time it has been treated: The Puritans had actually banned it for many years because of the debauchery that was desecrating what should have been a holy time.

I've gone off on a whole bunch of other things here. ANYWAYS, I just am finding it really interesting that people are afraid to celebrate Christmas, or in any way shape of form refer to Christmas. Christians (and the majority of the people in this country) celebrate Christmas (albeit with some difference of meaning to each group)....we've become the silent majority. Some how Christmas has just been entirely removed and there is just Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Holiday. Food for thought.

7 comments:

sadie607 said...

You know I luv ya Jess, but have a whole other perspective on the "happy holidays" thing. For one when in a public setting if often does make more sense just to say happy holidays which encompasses the many holidays of this time of year including Christmas, Hanukkah, new years (which is a universal holiday) etc. It doesn't bother me in the least.

At no other time of the year do I have have to endure the long drawn out holiday of another tradition, so I don't mind the happy holidays because I have so much respect for those who do not celebrate the day but still have to endure months of decorations, music, crowded shopping, commercials etc.

Plus there are christmas decorations everywhere. On streets, put up by cities, in stores, on peoples houses there's literally no escaping Christmas whether you celebrate it or not.

I also don't think anyone can argue that christians are persecuted. I have never heard of such rage that was directed towards muslims at the prospect of building a new mosque ever being directed towards a building of a new church.

I have never heard of someone being stabbed in a cab just because they looked "christian" where as hate crimes against muslims and sikhs is a regular occurrence since 9/11. People are attacked for merely looking at certain way and people assuming something about what they belief and who they are.

Not to mention our entire calendar at schools and many places of work revolve around the two biggest christian holidays. All of the students are currently out of school for winter break with coincides with christmas so the christians can celebrate their holiday without missing school. Not many places of business are open on christmas, so once again many are free to celebrate the day with families.

However, unless it's a highly populated area jewish students miss school to observe their high holy days, Muslim students experience Ramadan in the midst of every day life. Those from other traditions must sacrifice attendance at school or work to celebrate certain holidays.

Also, spring break often coincides with Easter so once again christian students have time off because of one of their important holidays.

There is no war against christianity, there is however a call to be aware that we live in a diverse nation which houses people with all kinds of religious traditions. In my opinion not assuming everyone celebrates christmas is a simple respectful way to be mindful of the diversity that is present in our country.

(Sorry for my novel)

niobe said...

I totally agree with sadie's comment.

Crossing My Fingers said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and to all a good night!

~Jess said...

I typed up a response to Sadie, but I'm not going to post it, because I wasn't looking to start an argument about this, but more wanted to point out what I seem to be noticing...that people are hesitant to mention Christmas in any way shape or form.

I just want to reiterate that I don't have any issues with being wished or wishing Happy Holidays to people...because there are so many different things which people are celebrating this time of year (or not celebrating); or with the fact that other people celebrate other things.

Just something I've noticed over the past few years.

Delenn said...

Sadie pretty much summed my feelings up, but I did want to give a personal observation...

We are an atheist family with split cultural celebrations. My husband was raised Jewish, I was raised Catholic. And while we are not religious, the cultural icons and traditions that make up Hannukah and Christmas permeate our lives during this time. We have a great balance and we celebrate both equally, as well as talk about Kwanza and other holidays. So, in a lot of contexts, I would prefer people to wish me Happy Holidays.

On the other hand, we both have Christian and Jewish family and friends. And when I send them greetings or whatever, I do make it a point to wish them a Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah. To me it is about showing them a common courtesy of acknowledging their personal traditions.

I must say that marrying a Jew, it was an eye opener to see Christmas through his eyes...it is everywhere and overwhelming.


Saying all that, I sincerely wish
you a Merry Christmas, Jess! You have always been a very sincere person and I know that you were not trying to start a flame war or anything, just giving your perspective.

sadie607 said...

Jess I hope you didn't take offense to my post, if so I'm so sorry that was not my intention and I seriously debated even posting. I too am not looking to start an argument, seriously you are one of my dearest friends. Just wanted to put an alternative thought out there.

We are all welcome to our vary opinions and perspectives.

nh said...

Merry Christmas, Jess - may more people not be afraid to say it.

LinkWithin