Saturday, June 19

“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”

I can't believe it's been over a week since my last post, and I just know that if I don't force myself to sit down and post now, it'll be another week...the busy season is upon us. As for another excuse...I got sick (it seems to be going around the blogosphere). It started with a scratchy throat, then a temp (100.5), then aches, cough and blah! feeling, but I'm better now, and it looks as though no one else has caught it.

It's been busy. Today is my sister, Kate's, high school (home school) graduation ceremony and party. We've been busy with getting things done for that. The ceremony was very nice, of course the video camera died half-way through her piano piece (the battery never charged). This afternoon is the party, but for right now I'm home and Avelyn is sleeping.

You're probably wondering about the quote up there. I think Avelyn is feeling oppressed and is starting to demand her freedom. Walking into her room this morning, this is what I saw...
I would love to say that she's been working up to this; that she's been pulling herself up; that she's been sitting up on her own, but I can't. The other day was the first time I found her in her crib sitting. That was the only time I've seen her go from lying down to sitting. I've never seen her pull herself up. Then this.

All I can think is, "Lord, I'm not ready for this." I put her down for a nap after graduation and she immediately sat up. Ummm...now what do we do?

How do I get this kid to go to sleep if she won't stay where I put her? Now we of course have something else to worry about: Is this going to make bed time more difficult? And how soon before she's trying to climb out of the crib and we have to worry about her getting hurt?

Parents, I have a question: How did you deal with this? Was it as big of an "issue" as I'm expecting? I'm not ready for her to grow up yet.

5 comments:

Photogrl said...

Miss O. sat up and pulled herself up in her crib about the same time. I was really lucky, though, she never tried to climb out.

I've heard many fully endorse crib tents, once their children are climbing out.

I hope you're as lucky as I was...

And glad to hear you're feeling better!

Queenie said...

Oh my!

I have no suggestions, but I'll be watching your comments, as we are dealing with a similar issue. All of a sudden our baby is constantly rolling on her tummy and trying to crawl. Every time we put her down in the crib and she wakes the slightest little bit, she rolls over, fully wakens herself, tries to crawl (can't, because she's not yet strong enough), then screams her head off.

Can't believe A went from laying to pulling up just like THAT! It's so amazing to watch them develop, isn't it?

Suzy said...

I did NOT want my little one to grow up so fast, but when he decided that he wanted to be on the move...he was off. its a real bittersweet thing, you are proud of them for getting a new skill, but you dont want them to grow up!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

She is just precious!

Amanda said...

When my boys started rolling over we had some issues with bedtime and naptime because they'd get stuck on their stomachs. Now that I think about it, Jack would also get stuck sitting up (how you do that I'll never figure out, but he did). We found him sleeping sitting up twice. It was a very short lived issue, though.

As far as figuring out how to crawl out of the crib, it doesn't seem to be a big issue for most people. Trip started climbing out a couple of months ago (or so) but his crib was recalled and he hasn't tried it since. He actually only hit the ground once; the other times he'd get scared and get stuck on top of the railing (in the corner) and cry until I rescued him.

It's probably not going to be a huge issue. Good luck!

LinkWithin