Monday, February 22

Weekends are a bit like rainbows; they look good from a distance but disappear when you get up close to them. ~John Shirley

Oy! What a weekend! (You can click on any picture to make it bigger).

Matt and I were off from the store this weekend since his brother was coming down for a visit and he, FIL, and Matt were all going to work on the bathroom.

Before I go into any detail, can I just say my HOUSE IS TRASHED! I don't think it's EVER been this bad. You can barely walk from room to room, there's dust and dirt everywhere, and it still seems like we're so far away from it ever being done again (Need I remind myself Ave's Christening is in 7 weeks and it all has to be done by then!)

Here's some examples:

This is what my kitchen, dining room, and living room look like. Every room has been rre-purposed for something else. I feel terrible that A has absolutely no place to play, because everything is just so dusty from them working on the bathroom. So if anyone wants to offer me the services of a maid, when the bathroom is done, I'd absolutely LOVE it!

*sigh* The bathroom...it is going to be SO AWESOME...when it's done. In the mean time.... Matt and I have realized that we both smell, because we're taking as few showers as possible, because we feel DIRTIER after showering than we did before hand....even the dogs feel dirty and need to be bathed.

Saturday BIL, FIL, and Matt worked for a good part of the day, then FIL and Matt worked more yesterday. They got all of the electric run, the ceiling and 2 walls are sheet rocked, the recessed lights and the exhaust fan have been installed.


Isn't it a lovely shade of purple?! That's the new mold/moisture guard sheet rock.

We did end up with having to do some extra work (which hasn't been done yet). We live in an old house...they built things differently way back when...the junction box for the switches won't fit in the wall with the studs the way they are...so Matt has to restud the wall behind the sink, to bring it out far enough to put in a junction box, which, because of this, means he's also going to have to figure out how to rehang the door to the bathroom (of course this is an original door, meaning it isn't today's standardized measurements).

Hopefully by next week, we'll be on to taping/spackling, as well as installing the shower pan and cement board. My parents are going on vacation next week, and have closed their other business, so that means Matt is off on Monday, and only has to work in the store during the week. After that it turns to me! I'm the one who will pretty much finish the room...with the priming, painting, staining (the vanity), installing the hardware, repainting the tub and hopefully doing the tiling of the shower (with Matt).

One funny thing has happened: I mentioned to Matt having the bathroom rigged with speakers with an iPod hook up...so that we could listen to music in there...."Nah, we don't need that". What does Mr. White say to me last night...I think I am going to install speakers around the tub....hmmmm ;-)

We're making progress....

4 comments:

kimbosue said...

What a crazy mess! I don't know how you are living there during the renov! Just know the end is near and soon you will have your house back to normal living conditions!

What random comments from BIL and FIL to say about you needing to get out and away from baby...maybe they are just having baby withdrawals themselves?

~Jess said...

Part of me thinks that BIL is not too keen on being a dad. He told us that he was very bored with his DD for the first 4-5 months of her life, and now he said his two biggest complaints about kids are the noise they make and how messier they are when eating (Niece just started solids). It's weird.

Jendeis said...

Am I crazy that I kinda like that bluey purple in the bathroom? You could mix it with a white curtain and use either silver or gold with it.

It's good to see that some things never change with BIL remaining the usual asshat that he is. Glad that you seem to be letting this roll off your back.

Queenie. . . said...

In-laws. Sigh.

Your bathroom looks huge! Ut's going to feel so good when it's done, but I hear you on the chaos. Just finished 2 years of living like that while we did a gut rehab or pretty much the whole house. It gets old quick.

LinkWithin