Saturday, February 20

My Mom's Memory Quilt

I'm making progress...of course I haven't cut a stitch of fabric yet and it needs to be done by the end of March (the deadline I've set myself to get it out to the quilter and back before her birthday, May 8th). I've been sneaking pictures and albums out of my parents' house and slowly compiling a rather huge file of pictures.

I have some other people looking for other pictures. I don't have a lot from my mom as a kid, just 1 of her as a baby (about 7 months or so) and 1 of her as a kid at about 4 or 5. Hopefully everyone gets me their pictures asap. What I plan on doing is having a "themed" photo collage at the center of the plain blocks, about 5x7. I've tested the print on fabric and it looks like it's going to work well... so now I just need to order more of it.

Here's the design in EQ6
The white-ish blocks in the center section are going to be the pictures. The quilt is going to be bound in a dark blue (not sure about the back yet).

Here's the fabric that I bought
You're probably thinking: "She's been talking about this blog since I started reading it..." Yea, I have and I realized something last night...the reason for my procrastination is the same reason why I haven't done anything on it in the past 3.5 months of being a SAHM....Avelyn. I didn't want to create a memory quilt, that didn't include a grandchild, my child. As selfish and as simple an answer as that.

Of course now I've given myself additional hurdles to jump while doing this, but I know MIL would be more than willing to take her for a few hours in the morning or other times so that I can work on it. The pattern is simple enough that it shouldn't take me long, but still I need to work on it.

The other big hurdle is that my dining room has been turned into a construction area...everything for the bathroom reno is in there...so I have to try and do this in my kitchen. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

That is going to be amazing!!!

Jendeis said...

You can do this and it will be wonderful!

sadie607 said...

That's going to be beautiful. I love your quilts. We get so many comments on the ones you made for the babies. People are always amazed at how perfect they are.

kimbosue said...

It's going to be awesome!

LinkWithin