Thursday, December 17

Eureka!

We've figured out the health insurance part of operation "stay at home mom (who will really be working part time in our store with A)": Matt and I had pretty much planned on paying OOP for Healthy NY (as individuals) for the 3 of us...which would be around $750/month (insane!).

My mom talked to our accountant and he said that it is in the best interest of the business that we apply for HNY through the store as a small business owner and let the business absorb the cost (to offset income). AWESOME! My parents were cool with this and it's a huge help to us because we can afford to live on just Matt's income (from the other business) if we don't have to pay insurance: SWEET!

The other thing that's great is that we are eligible for Child Health Plus, and actually will not have to pay anything for A to have health insurance via that (yea, we're that poor lol). Matt and I will save about $200 with her being on CHP and us on HNY...and we aren't the ones who will have to even pay for it (other than deducibles/copays).

The health insurance issue is solved...now we just have a boat load of applications to fill out for all of it. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and we'll be getting insurance just as my insurance with work will cease to exist.

Still not sure how to, or when to, inform work. I have typed up my letter of resignation. I just seriously have no idea how to do this. I have decided to wait until after Christmas, but do I tell them right after...or what until two weeks before my scheduled return to work. I know I don't want to wait until right before I am scheduled to return...that just wouldn't be considerate.

I guess, ultimately I know what I have to do...call my boss and ask her if I could come in to talk about my return to work and then go from there. I'm probably going to see her on Monday and half hope she asks me straight out if I'm coming back to work, but if she doesn't I guess I have to follow through on the formalities of it.

I don't think I will owe back any benefit premiums by not returning...as they are OOP while on FMLA. And even if I did owe back something we have it in savings. If you wouldn't mind sending lots of prayer my way I'd greatly appreciate them :-)

4 comments:

VA Blondie said...

That is fantastic news! So glad that you found something which will work out!

Photogrl said...

What a huge relief this must be for you!

I'll be praying for you to have an easy time of resigning.

Sarah said...

Hi - I don't usually comment on your blog, but I do read it regularly and love reading about little A. Last year, my SIL had her baby and had told her work that she was planning to return to work afterwards (so that she could get the paid maternity leave). The first day she was back at work, she had a meeting with her manager and just very nicely explained that while she had originally intended to go back to work, she decided that she didn't want to leave her child in daycare all day and that she had decided to stay home. Her manager was very understanding and she only had to go back into work one other day for her exit interview with HR.

I'm not sure how your work's insurance functions, but if its a decent sized company, when you return back to work at the end of your materity leave and say that you're just going to stay home, they should be covering health insurance for another month and pay any vacation/holiday time you are owed.

Hopefully things will go smoothly for you so that you can be home with A!

kimbosue said...

What a great present right before Christmas! So glad things worked out for you!

LinkWithin