Friday, July 24

Decisions! Decisions!

I managed to scratch a couple of things off of my to do list...I tried to blind hem stitch my two dresses (they're a knit) and quickly gave up. I'm going to ask my MIL just to serge and finish the edge for me.

~*~ One ~*~
M, one of the friends I went to dinner with on my birthday, is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE influence on me...she always was! We were talking about baby stuff and she mentioned wanting a Vera Bra.dley diaper bag. OH MY GOODNESS! I hadn't even thought of this! I know VB isn't everyone's style, but, obviously, I love quilt-y things!

I knew the diaper bag I wanted could be made on etsy.com, but it was $135 and I had to provide the fabric (so really $160...more than I want to spend). I was checking things out last night and found a "Super Tote" on VB's website that is a bit bigger than the diaper bag, but about $10 less (and if you get it in retiring patterns it's only $50!): WOOHOO!

I asked for a quilt-y diaper bag on my "registry email" to my mom...I'm going to hold off until after my shower, but I think I'm going to get the VB Super Tote (just have to make sure a 9" drop is enough to get on my shoulder).

I did ask Matt about his opinion of a diaper bag and whether he wanted a more "manly" diaper bag for himself: He does. So I'm thinking that I'm going to get him a messenger daddy bag filled with goodies for him, to give him at my shower. Any suggestions on where to find it or what to fill it with?

~*~ Two ~*~
I think we've decided on a fabric for the nursery: Somerset Cottage. It's more in line with my original "Victorian Garden" theme and the only reason why it wasn't a contender in my list of fabrics, was because I didn't think it was available until the end of September. Tonight I have to sit down and look through my patterns for a baby quilt and decide how much I need for the quilt, so I can order the fabric before it's GONE!

The only other thing we need to discuss for the nursery is wall decor: I think I want to get this tree, in white, to put in the corner by the crib. The other thing I've thought about is doing the wood letters and mod-podging fabric from the room onto the letters to spell out her name. We're very limited in how much and how big things can be that are on the wall, simply because we have lathe and plaster in our house and it's VERY hard to find a stud to install book shelves.

One thing I did do, when I was thinking Beatrix Potter, was a double chair rail in the room...now I have to decide what to do with it. Originally I was going to put BP wallies there...now I have no idea....maybe some vinyl wall word quotes about little girls or dreams or something, with a few of the Peter Rabbit wallies. Any ideas?

I'm hoping we can get SOMETHING done in the room this weekend, even if it's just moving things out so we have a blank space to work in. Which reminds me: I need to ask MIL about reupholstering our rocking chair...I'm not even sure it can be done...it might just be able to be slip covered.

~*~ Three ~ *~
I've always wanted to do maternity photos (I have a confession: I secretly love getting my picture taken...especially in a photo shoot...I think it's my throw back to having wanted to be an actress or model); not knowing whether we'll be pregnant again...I want to take full advantage this time. I've always been persnicketty about photography...the money is a factor, but I'm willing to budget what we need to be able to do what I want and get the pictures I want.

I emailed our wedding photography and about 4 others in our area about pricing and whether they've done maternity shoots, and if we could see some of their portfolio. My biggest thing is I don't want pictures printed...I want them edited and all on a disc with the copyright release to print them myself.

So far I've heard back from our wedding guy and another photographer: Our wedding guy get's $299 for the whole thing (session, CD and rights - but he's 2 hours away), and the other person has quoted me around $450 for the same thing (and she's 20 minutes away).

I really liked our wedding photographer: He was great to work with, he's done maternity shoots, but it's TWO HOURS AWAY! The other person hasn't done any maternity shoots, but I'm really liking the pictures I see on her site, but she's also $150 more. I really love her newborn shoots and that's definitely something I want to do.

I think I know who I want to go with, but I'm not sure. I know our wedding guy was really easy to deal with, very prompt, and more than willing to create whatever "package" we wanted. This other person doesn't normally do the copyright release for anyone that isn't a bridal package, she's more expensive, and I don't know how prompt she is. I know that I would really like to do maternity, newborn and 6 month and 1 year shoots. That we still have to make a decision on.

I think that's an update on the things going on here in the White House.

12 comments:

daega99 said...

Wow - so much going one. I love your ideas for the nursery and the VB bag sounds like a great deal!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

ICLW #52

Just Believing said...

Great fun post !@!!!!I gotta check out that diaper bag now :)

Jules said...

Thanks for the visit! (and congrats!)

Hubby wanted a backpack diaper bag so that's what he got - guess you could put some dad-oriented baby outfits? Or stock it with the necessities so it's all ready for him. I got hubby the cooler bag that goes with our stroller.

We did wood letters on a fabric background - pretty easy / not expensive at all. Can send you a pic if you want.

Oooh a photo shoot does sound fun.

Jendeis said...

Lots going on! Love the updates from the White House!

I absolutely love the tree on the wall decoration. I also really like the idea of words or quotations on the wall. Had the link to this in my bookmarks, thought it might give you somewhere to start. Additionally, I remember reading somewhere about a Chinese tradition of a 100 wishes or 1000 wishes quilt. You could have each person at your shower or just all your family members write down a one-word wish for your little one and then use those words for the wall.

Are you able to use molly bolts to hold things into the plaster and lathe?

Absolutely go for it on the photography. There's lots of things that you can/should be frugal about. You will always cherish photos.

Jendeis said...

Ooh, and I think Red Envelope or Uncommon Goods does a dad-to-be gift set with a manly diaper bag and a Dad's Instruction Manual.

Queenie. . . said...

There is a company started by two dads that makes "manly" diaper bags. They are the ones that make the diaper stuffed fleece vest thingy. Their stuff was around $75, I think, but they had a lot of options for customizing. I think it's called dadgear.com.

Congrat's on making a fabric decision!

sadie607 said...

I agree that you will never regret spending money on pics. The first photographer actually sounds very reasonable despite the hassle of driving two hours away. Not getting maternity pics. because of the bedrest/early delivery is one of the saddest things for me, since we don't know if we'll ever do the DIUI again either. So do it!

And I love the fabric you picked out I can't wait to see how the nursery all comes together.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I love Vera Bradley. The tree looks great! Good ideas!

The Wife said...

Not to add too much to your to-do list but I've tagged you on my blog.

Kellie said...

adorable nursery!

Kellie
ICLW

~Jess said...

Kristin: Not sure what kind of quilt yet, probably one like the other baby quilts I've made, but I'm thinking I might do it as a wall hanging rather than a quilt to be used (or I might do both). I have a couple of patterns picked out.

Cajun Cutie said...

I love that tree, I was however shocked by the price. I had no idea wall stickers were so expensive!It is beautiful though. Your nursery is going to be amazing!!

LinkWithin