Sunday, July 12

25 weeks 1 day

I have a confession: Yesterday, at the car show, I ate 3 chili-cheese dogs. I only ever get them during the fairs, and it's not like I sat down and just ate 3; they were spaced throughout the day, but that's what I ate....and fries. There's a reason why I only eat this food a few times a year, because I binge on it, then I'm completely disgusted by it for the next year.

There was something that I wanted to write about, but I honestly can't remember now what it was.

My brother called yesterday to wish our sister a happy birthday (she turned 17!): She talked to him for a bit and then she started telling him how she went with me to the ultrasound and how cool it was and that she saw the heart beating and that was awesome (her exact words). She was sitting on my lap, so she couldn't see my face, but I was giggling and smiling. She tries to put on such a tough-guy persona, and my mom and I know that a lot of what she says/does is for reaction (Mom and I were the same way). It was cool to hear her excited about it though.

Hopefully now that the car show is done and we have a couple of weeks before the fair-season, I can get Matt to focus on somethings around here and we can get some tasks accomplished. One of which is thinking more seriously about names.

I remember what I wanted to tell you: Wednesday after the u/s I went into the store to work for a couple of hours so Matt could go to the fair meeting. Well a girl came in (she was a year above me in school and I didn't really care for her then - she's kind of crass) and goes to me "Hey Prego!" Of course she's a fertile and has 3 kids and at least 2 of them were unplanned. I was pretty annoyed.

There's not much going on....at the end of the day, sometimes, my tummy muscles are a bit achy especially if I've been standing a lot. I lost 3lbs again (so I'm now 1lb back under my pre-pg weight..GRR!) , of course after eating chili cheese dogs, I'm sure I gained it back.

I downloaded some "baby sounds for pets"...OH MY GOODNESS! Our dogs do NOT like a baby crying! They come running to me and just keep looking like "What's that sound?! Make it STOP! What's the MATTER?!" They were well behaved though...they didn't bark, only a bit of whining, I figure every couple of days I'll put that on and let it play for a few minutes just to get them used to it. If anyone else has other tips on acclimating pets to babies I'd love to hear them.

15 weeks to go!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I've read that dogs can learn up to like 100 words so as soon as we had a name picked out, we used it around our dog, Max, a lot. (It helps that he already knows the word "baby" so we could use them together to give him an idea of what was going on.)

We would show him things we were bringing in the house and say "this is Kasen's!" and talk to him about how "this is Kasen's room!" whenever we were in the nursery. We even explained when we left to go to the hospital that we were going to get Kasen.

My parents house/pet sat for us while we were in the hospital so the night he was born, they brought home the hat he had worn to let Max sniff it and kept saying "this is Kasen's! Kasen's hat!" They said at that point he really knew something was up and he was actually kind of unsure about the new smell on the hat.

When we got home (three days later), Max met us at the car, barely said hi to me and practically tried to climb over me in the car to see Kasen. He knew he was in there and just wanted to sniff him!

He's great with him now, too. If he's crying and I don't get to him right away, Max will go hunt him down then come look at me, like, "hey lady. kasen's crying! do something!"

Queenie. . . said...

Hmmm. It never occurred to me to acclimate my dog. But given how spoiled she is, maybe it would be a good idea for me to look into it.

chicklet said...

I've never even heard of downloading baby sounds for dogs - that's brilliant!

annacyclopedia said...

That is such a good idea to get baby sounds for dogs! We will have to do that - Lucky gets jealous if Manny and I kiss each other and if we're sitting down he'll jump up and try to make it a three-way! We're working on getting him out of that even though it's totally cute, cause it will just not work with a little baby. I'm going to come back and read the comments to find out what other people say, too - good question to ask, Jess!

Rebekah said...

Good idea. I just thought we'd bring home a blanket or hat to let the dog smell, but noises and the like are a great idea.

Oh, and I totally want a chili dog now. Thanks. ;)

Janna said...

Great idea about the baby sounds! Wish we had done that!! We pulled on our dogs ears and tail, and patted her a little harder on the head. And if she didn't snap or growl we gave her a treat.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Hi Lisa, it's good to find you on here via the Braces Bunch! My hub and I are also dealing with donor issues for male-factor infertility.

I have read that it's also a good idea to introduce them to smells of a newborn. Like the lotions, etc. I have even read it's a good idea to get a doll to pick up and keep in a crib.

Hope the doggies make the adjustment when it's time.

LinkWithin