Thursday, December 4

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Here we go again (on my own...{not really though})! Matt's been propositioned.

Background: When I was growing up my parents had a delicatessen, one of those old-styled pop shops. Showcases filled with different cuts of meats, sausage, cheeses; a counter to order a deli-sandwich; shelves of different foods found only in a butcher shop. It was a lot of work, and it wasn't very profitable.

At the time we all worked (I was 16 when the store opened, brother was 13, and sister was 6) long hours. My mom would get up at 3am every day to make homemade German potato salad and my dad would get up at the same time to hand make all of the sausages for the day. Every weekend was spent waiting counter or clearing tables. Whatever things my dad didn't make (namely cold cuts) we imported from NYC from Karl.Ehmer. Of course, this is where we lost money. Every week my dad would drive to NYC to pick up his weekly order, but being that our orders were for a small shop we paid higher prices, plus the cost of travel. After 2 years, my parents closed the shop.

My dad grew up in the meat business. His father was a butcher from the time he was a teenager. At 17 my dad graduated high school and went to work for the same company as his dad. He started unloading tractor trailers full of hindquarters or whatever else, and eventually worked up to a butcher. At that point he was taken under-wing by a very prominent butcher in their neighborhood. He taught my father everything he knew about meat and sausage making. This business is in his blood and it's what he loves doing. He loves the interaction with customers.

Since they've closed shop my dad has moved onto a different side of being a butcher: Distribution. He now owns a provision route (meaning he sells meats, cheeses etc to delis and restaurants all over). He now is in a position in which a delicatessen would be profitable. (end of background).

My dad has wanted to go back to owning a shop: He loves serving people and he loves food. He's jokingly asked me for several years to quit my job and be manager in a shop. We all remember how much work it was and none of us are too keen to give up our lives, for something that may or may not be profitable.

On Tuesday my dad seriously propositioned Matt to run a delicatessen.

Since Matt went out on disability in Jan08 he's been working 2 days a week with my parents and 3 days a week with his dad in the insurance business. Matt really does not care for the insurance business or the fact that there is no guaranteed paycheck and with the economy the way it is...people are just not looking to purchase insurance.

As he said the other night "This insurance thing...it feels like I'm trying to con people, scam'em out of their money". He really has a hard time selling something intangible and most likely unnecessary to someone, where as with my parents, it's something people need, something they can see, something they can use: Food. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome salesman...trained by the two best salesmen I know (his dad and mine).

So, once again, we're faced with a choice...Matt can say "no" and keep going with the insurance (however at some point his father will expect him to become a full agent which means the only income Matt will bring in is commission, he wouldn't be able to work for my parents at all) OR Matt can say "yes" and take the risk of a business that may or may not work, but a business that he more thoroughly enjoys. Any prayers to guide us in this would be seriously appreciated. We have no idea what to do.


6 comments:

VA Blondie said...

Wishing you all the best as you make this decision. I am sure you will find what is right for you.

(Personally I a rooting for the deli. My Hubby is very happy working for himself and doing something he enjoys. I suspect your hubby would be the same.)

annacyclopedia said...

I'm rooting for the deli, too. I've recently changed jobs to one where I am a lot happier, and while it is still a job where I work for someone else and therefore not as risky as what Matt is considering, I still totally think that happiness is undervalued and security is overvalued when we make these kinds of decisions. At least that's been my experience in the past.

Hoping for the right choice to become clear to you easily and without too much struggle. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

melissa said...

Go for the MEAT!! that is so much more fun than selling insurance. I will be praying for yall as you make these decisions

JJ said...

Praying for you all as you work on making the decision.

Miss said...

oh how exciting! I can just feel your life changing if he has a job he loves! My experience is that taking the risk is not easy and is not without pain...but the reward of watching your husband come to life doing something he loves is PRICELES!!

hmmm...I sound like a Discover commercial! =) haha

littlezen said...

I'm with the others. You've previously mentioned that your husband doesn't like working for his father. Since it IS his father would he be flexible enough to allow him to come back some day if your parents business failed? I guess I think life is pretty short to spend it in a way you don't find satisfying. Good luck!!!

LinkWithin