Thursday, August 21

As promised...Cheddar Biscuits

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp ice cold butter chopped fine
2/3 cup milk
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional: Sprinkle on top or mix in with wet ingredients)
Heat oven to 450*

Directions
Sift dry ingredients together (You can use a fine mesh colander for this if you don't have a sifter).
Cut in ice cold butter. Add milk and eggs. Stir until just combined, butter can be lumpy.

Flour work surface and transfer sticky dough to work surface. Flour hands and pat dough until desired thickness (I do mine about 1/2" think). Using a VERY sharp biscuit cutter or a sharp knife, cut biscuits. Place on buttered cookie sheet (or other surface).

Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Bake 15 minutes or until tops are golden. Serve warm with butter.

KEY TRICKS!
*Butter must be FREEZING COLD! If it isn't the biscuits won't be as flaky.
*DON'T over mix!
*Cut biscuits with a VERY SHARP tool: If you don't they won't rise properly.

5 comments:

sadie607 said...

These look so good, but because of my lack of cooking skills I suppose no attempt will be made to try them. Some of the instructions confuse me... I'm hopeless.

My name is Andy. said...

YUMMY. I'm always up for trying a new biscuit recipe!

Thanks for sharing

Tyler said...

Wow, those look amazing! I can't wait to try out your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

CappyPrincess said...

Yum! I appreciate the sharp cutting tool comment. I always had problems figuring out why some rose and some didn't when my daughter and I (using 2 different cutters) would do biscuits. Now I know it's time to ditch the old cutter or put it in the craft bin in favor of another new cutter.

We also add garlic to the butter brush sometimes. They take on a Red L*bster-ish taste when you do.


ICLW

Frances said...

Yummmmmmmm!

LinkWithin