Saturday, July 19

Home Sweet Home!

I'm not much of a going-away person; I'm definitely one of those who would rather stay put than go away overnight. This weekend was no different. Surprise! Surprise! At 7:00pm last night I was ready to drive home from C.orning, NY. Alas, we had already booked our $60 room at the lovely Budget Inn (it wasn't that great of a place...definitely don't think I'll be going back).

It was my fault. I thought there was more to do in C.orning, but I was sorely mistaken. All the shops were closed by 6:00pm and there was nothing else going on and no other towns nearby.

Saturday morning we got up at 7am and drove the 2 hours to the C.orning Museum of Glass. We had a 10:00am appt to make our own glass ornaments; we had decided to each make one for our mom's for Christmas, and then made one for ourselves (we collect them whenever we travel someplace).

The class was cool and our ornaments came out really neat (will post pictures later). We walked around the museum for a while and had lunch in their cafe, which was surprisingly good. There was some beautiful artistic glass pieces and some really elaborate pieces that made you wonder "Who the heck would pay money for that?!"


After lunch we drove up to Ke.uka Lake, which is one of the Finger Lakes. Of course, this region is extremely well known for it's wines, so we decided to stop at Dr. Franks. Oh My Goodness! Let me just preface this by saying that I am not a drinker: Beer, Wine, Hard Liquor; I really don't like any of it. Dr. Franks was DELICIOUS! I could gladly sit down with a glass of their Gewurztraminer (2006) and some cheese and be in heaven! And the views were just as wonderful!

In the early evening we drove back to C.orning and went to the Gaffer's for dinner: Chicken Taco Dip as an appetizer, I had grilled chicken with Caesar salad, and Matt had pork medallions with a rosemary demi. It was all very good, and I would definitely go back there again.

We walked around downtown C.orning hoping to see some action, but there was nothing. The whole town, outside of the bars, was dead at 6:00pm. There was a square with a fountain and a stage we waited thinking that may be they would have some kind of music, but nothing happened. Finally we just went back to our room and watched TV, and lights out at 9:30 (we're very exciting people).

In the morning we were up and out of our motel room at 8:15 and headed to We.gman's to do some grocery shopping. From there we headed back to C.orning to do our Christmas shopping: We got all of the girls done! WOOHOO! And a few birthday gifts for those with fall birthdays.

All in all it was a good weekend. Matt and I got to spend some quality time together and we saw and did some fun things. Boy, we were glad to get home though. We've decided that once we have kids the extent of our travels away from home will be day trips: We just don't like to go away.

Here's the link to all the pictures. I brought my old Kodak and didn't bother taking much in the way of pictures.

1 comment:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thank you for sharing your great pictures. I love the Corn.ing Museum and Fingerlakes Region. Best to you and your DH, here from ILCW.

LinkWithin