Tuesday, July 1

Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the planet, but they are alive and well in our imaginations. ~Steve Miller

Since I was a kid dinosaurs have fascinated me: My favorite movies are still "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World: Jurassic Park " (JP3...not so much). I've always been amazed at their size, how they move, their way of life, and as I got older, their similarities to creatures we see today. Growing up I had wanted to be a paleontologist, but I didn't want to dedicate numerous years to schooling.

This morning I got up and was out with the chickens...shooting a couple of pictures and just watching them. Chickens fascinate me: They move so closely to how I imagine Velociraptors and T-Rexs moved. The beady eyes that watch everything you do, the way they move their heads and bodies. Most paleontologists more closely relate dinosaurs to chickens and ostriches than they do with reptiles.

The Compsognathus (AKA "Compy") is the smallest known dinosaur (at 3' in length) and is typically described as being the same size as a turkey: Unlike a chicken this dinosaur ate small animals and reptiles. I don't think I would like chickens so much if they were much bigger than they are. Could you imagine a 6' chicken running after you, intent on tearing you limb from limb and gorging itself on your bowels while you're still alive?!

2 comments:

VA Blondie said...

I think dinosaurs are pretty cool,too, and there is that theory that they are closely related to birds. Maybe that is why so many of us are fascinated with chickens.

Just a random thought..

Nic said...

You know, I had never thought about chickens like that! seriously...I guess it makes complete sense...will watch myself with the little suckers now in case one goes all Jurassic Park on me!

LinkWithin