Sunday, June 8

Another weekend has come and gone...

Blah! I wish we didn't have to leave home to work. This weekend has been miserable; continually 90+ with extreme humidity. Put it this way...even doing nothing you feel like you've been in a steam room. Yea. First thing I did on Friday, when I got home from, was put the AC in our bedroom window. I cannot deal with heat/humidity when trying to sleep.

I feel like we didn't accomplish much this weekend, but I guess we did. We brought home the girls on Friday night. They seem to be content. They're walking in and out of the house and pecking at the ground. Thyme doesn't think very much of them, but Sage is in near-hysterics about them. The chickie-poos are VERY upsetting to Sage. She stands there and whines and barks and wimpers. It's ridiculous. The chickies just look at her like she's crazy: Which she is.

Saturday morning I got up, mowed the lawn, took the dogs for a walk, and did somethings around the house. All Saturday Matt was at my parents' helping them to build their hen house for their 8 chicks.




When I was a teenager I goofed around with watercolor painting: Nothing that phenomenal. Last year I used some of my birthday money (that's right, last July) to restock my paint supplies. Over the years a lot of it had gone to my sister, and I didn't have much of anything left.

I've really been wanting a set of notecards that have quilts on them. Not just quilts or blocks, but still life paintings, of which quilts are a part of. I cannot for the life of me find any. So I decided yesterday to try my hand at it myself. Now mind you, this is the first thing I've painted in about 10 years and it took me the better part of 2 days, so be kind. If anyone out there in bloggerland finds me some awesome notecards, I'd love it!

There is one unfortunate even that accord this past weekend: Remember in these posts (1 2 and 3) I was commenting on the problems we'll face because of the rising fuel costs and such, and about the truckers. Well sometime around midnight on Saturday, someone syphoned my dad's full tank of diesel out of his truck: $165 in fuel.

My dad had bought the locking gas caps, but the more he thought about and looked into it, he realized that it would cost more to replace a gas tank (if they drilled it) than it would if they syphoned it out. I guess it was a "good" thing he didn't put the caps on. The state police came and filed a report.
My dad's truck is one of 15, that someone has stolen the gas out of. He asked the officer if he caught the guy, could he hold him at gunpoint until the police arrived. The cop told him that, no he can't do that, if he did they would arrest him for armed assault. Does that make sense?! They guy is stealing from you, but if you hold him at gunpoint, you'll get thrown in jail!? Something wrong with that.

7 comments:

sadie607 said...

I agree with you on the humidity thing it's been horrible over here too.

You're chicks are getting big and I love your painting. Oh, how I wish for any artistic ability.

I'm also sorry to hear about the gas thief. I hope they catch whoever did it.

VA Blondie said...

The heat and humidity were awful here, too. I have been irritable and crabby, partly because of the heat. (Also because of PMS, but that is sort of normal.)

Your chicks look lovely. I am glad they like their new home.

I am sorry that your father had all the gas stolen from him. I hope they catch the theif soon.

Soxy Deb said...

Oh gosh! I remember the days of window units (when we lived in RI), but here we have Central Heat and Air (and the hubby is a HVAC guy-thats the only reason I keep him around). I cant imagine living with a window unit now-UGH!

I love your painting and would buy postcards if you sold them. They are VERY GOOD!

And dont give me too much credit on the festival going - I did not enjoy it very much at all. But kids, I tell you what - it's like they dont even know its hot. What's that about??

Rachel said...

I love the painting of the quilt. It is beautiful!

SAHW said...

No that doesn't make sense at all...sorry about the thief. It's so sad to think how low people sink.

Your "girls" are looking lovely. :) I would love to have chickens...

And your painting is awesome! Wish I had that kind of talent after 10 years of dormancy!

Kim said...

I love the note cards! I can barely manage a stick figure! Coop chicken coop! NCLM

thenewbornidentity.com said...

First time to your site, so I don't know if those are your pups in the photos (should be since your bio says you have a couple), anyway, they are awesome. Love that shaggy hair!

I like your watercolor too! Very evocative of the country.

LinkWithin