Wednesday, April 10

W.I.P. Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I actually have something to share, and since I posted the other day about my creative juices, I thought an appropriate follow up would be showing you what I’ve been working on.

It has to have been at least 4 or 5, maybe more, years since I received a couple of BOM projects as Christmas gifts. For those of you not in the quilty-know, a BOM is a Block of the Month quilt kit. Every month you receive a pattern with the necessary fabric to create that block, and then at the end of a year, you have a quilt to show for it.

The first that I received was ‘O Tannebaum’ {a Christmas quilt} from Keepsake Quilting, that I did not realize was paper piecing. That one will be sitting in a drawer until I actually learn paper piecing {I pulled it out and quite frankly it scared the bejeezers out of me}.

The other one that I received was a Mystery BOM from Fat Quarter Shop called ‘Heartland’, which works the same way, but you don’t know what the finished project is going to look like. This is the one that I decided I should work on.

I don’t know what took me so long! I’m loving it! If you follow me on instagram, then you’ve probably seen each one of the blocks as I’ve been finishing them.

The blocks are slightly more intricate than I’m used to, but definitely not beyond my level of non-expertise. They’ve actually been really good…kind of pulling me out of my usual and getting me to try something that I probably wouldn’t have, whether the actual pattern or color placement.

So far I’m halfway through the blocks.

DSC_0209

What I’m loving about doing a BOM is that I’m able to work on an entire quilt, but in a way that I feel productive, not overwhelmed {and it doesn’t take over my dining room…where we actually need to eat at least 2 of our meals each day}! I can usually get through a block in an evening, or at least get one of the more intricate ones cut or stitched together. It’s been great!

There’s another Mystery BOM on Fat Quarter Shop right now that I love, but I do not have the funds necessary to purchase the said kit.

I can’t wait to get this one finished though. I think I’ll back it in flannel, so that I have an extra cozy quilt to curl up with on the couch next winter. Depending on how it comes out, I may even send it out to be quilted!

No comments:

LinkWithin