Monday, August 13

DIY Hanging Jewelry Box

I’m not a big jewelry person, much to all of the females in my family’s chagrin. When I turned 18 and 21, those big, special birthdays, I wanted power tools. Yes I’m odd.

DIY Hanging Jewelry Box at Lifeinthewhite.com
I do have some jewelry, special pieces and things only for getting dressed up. On a daily basis, I wear my wedding band, that’s it.

For a while I’ve really wanted some way of hanging up my necklaces and being able to see them. Matt had built me a jewelry box many years ago, but it’s a flat one, so things get tangled and you have to dig through it. Last year I had taken a mirror and put some cup hooks on it for Ave to hang her necklaces on {I think she has more than me, and always wants to wear one}, which worked great and got me thinking.

There’s gotta be a way to do something similar.

DSC_0245I had formulated an idea in my head, but didn’t give it too much detail. When I was cleaning out the dining room I found a piece of 3”x36” craft wood (measuring a little less than a 1/2” thick). I had already been toying with the idea of taking a clementine box (those wood crates the fruit comes in at the store) and altering that.

With a couple of cuts on our miter saw, a paint stirrer, some luan we had lying around, and some glue and nails I cobbed together my jewelry box.

DSC_0250
I wood-filled and sanded, then slathered it with some primer, painted it the colors we used in our bedroom {LOVE leftover paint!}.

I got the same little hooks I used on Ave’s mirror at the hardware store, screwed them into the top, staggering them front and back so that I could get more pieces in.

DSC_0015I was kind of at a loss as to what to do for a hanger, then I realized I had all these cans of formula with really big pull tabs on them. I ripped one off the can, grabbed some crazy glue, and voila! Instant hanging tab {I will admit, I think I saw it on pinterest somewhere}.

Put my nail in the wall and hung this baby up!


DIY Hanging Jewelry Box at LifeintheWhiteHouse.com 2
It works great {so far}. I can see everything, nothing gets tangled, my earrings sit on the bottom and the paint stick keeps them in. I could’ve made it longer, but I was working with what I had. It would be really easy to make this whatever dimensions needed.
{You can see there, on the right, one of the necklaces I made for myself, from this tutorial}

Join  me at NotJustaHousewife!

No comments:

LinkWithin