Saturday, September 24

Book Review: "Enemies of the Heart" by Andy Stanley

I've been working with Multnomah in their Blogging for Books program: You choose a pick they have available to read, they send it to you, review it, you get to keep the book and then post the review on your blog, their website, and anywhere else you'd like. Sounds like a great deal to me :-) Depending on how well your reviews are rated, you'll have access to more and more books. Go HERE to visit all of my reviews.

I recently chose "Enemies of the Heart" by Andy Stanley. The premise of this book is understanding the four basic things that can destroy you (and subsequently any relationships you may have): Greed: I owe me; Guilt: I owe you; Anger: You owe me; and Jealousy: God owes me.

I thought it was absolutely fascinating that he was able to break down most of the things that we struggle with into one of the above categories, all of which he explained well with examples and advice on how to deal with them. Some of the suggestions would be easier to deal with than others, but, honestly, I think if you were devoted to overcoming these issues in your own life his advice would really be insightful.

I think most of us can admit to having issues in all 4 of these areas in our lives. I know I can. Of course it's always easier to see these faults in others. He even discusses that: How very often we think, "Oh so-and-so should read this", but if someone were to approach us about a flaw of our own we would shut them out and ignore them.

I really felt this was a helpful, and quick, read. There were so many good points in the book and so many new ways of thinking about ourselves and our bad habits. Definitely recommend it. If anyone is interested in reading this book, I have one copy that I am willing to give away. Just send me an email. Also, please head over and rate my review :-) I'd really appreciate it.

1 comment:

sadie607 said...

Sounds interesting. I want to read it :~) Do you think this would make a good book for a church book club?

LinkWithin