Wednesday, May 18

Book Review "Praying for your Future Husband"


A friend of mine has been working with Multnomah in their Blogging for Books program: It's really a great deal! You choose a pick they have available to read, they send it to you, review it, you get to keep the book and then post the review on your blog, their website, and anywhere else you'd like. Sounds like a great deal to me :-) Depending on how well your reviews are rated, you'll have access to more and more books.

As my first book to review I chose "Praying for your Future Husband" by Robin Jones Gunn (author of The Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen series) and Tricia Goyer (author of The Liberator series).

I ended up enjoying this book, and getting far more out of it, than I originally expected. I figured it would be an interesting read and then I would pass it along to my sister in law. It wasn't just about praying for a husband, or pray these prayers and God will send you the right man now. It was about preparing yourself for your husband, through God.

So many women, my sister and sister in law included, jump from one relationship to another, believing if they don't put themselves out there they will never find Mister Right, rather than trusting in God's plan for their lives. They end up hurt and alone, rather than focusing on building their relationship with the Father and trusting Him to bring Mister Right into their lives.

What I really loved about this book, was that it wasn't written by two perfect Christian women who did everything right and say "Look how wonderful I am". It was written by two women, completely different in their walks with Christ and their pathways to marriage: One, who had been previously engaged and whose fiance called it off, when her faith became a bit too much for him, and the other, who was looking for love in all the wrong places and became a mom when she was 15. It is this humanism that made the book such a joy to read.

The book is broken down into chapters focusing on different desirable traits in a husband, but it also correlates to how we, as women, should be making the same demands of ourselves, preparing ourselves for our future husbands, just as we are praying the he is preparing himself for us. There are wonderfully insightful and thought provoking questions, as well as stories from other women about their walks with Christ on the way to finding Mister Right. Each chapter is doused with scripture to help guide the reader as they pray for their future husband as well as for themselves.

I truly enjoyed how the different stories throughout had shown God's hand at work in the various lives of women who had prayed for their future husbands, whether they had started at 13 or 30. How God did such wonderful things in their lives, as well as the lives of the husbands they had yet to even meet, because of their faith in God and prayers.

I highly recommend this book to any woman, whether married, or not, because there truly is something in it for everyone. If for no other reason, than learning how to put aside our own wants and desires, and trusting God to fill the voids in our life rather than trusting ourselves.

Please head on over to rate my review :-)
Thanks.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Jess! hope you have a great day :)
p.s. I rated your review :)

lauren said...

I am hoping and praying this is your lucky cycle !!! I just found out iui 2.3 was lucky for us, so I hope it will be for you too :)

LinkWithin