Saturday, January 8

Ratatouille

One of our favorite movies is "Ratatouille": The story of a rat who arrives in Paris and voila! a chef is born. Great family movie....it's filled with laughs, a good message, and great looking food. Every time we watch this movie we say "We should make ratatouille sometime". Well we finally did!

One of our family New Year's resolutions was to pick out 12 new recipes and try one each month: Ratatouille was January's experiment.

I kept finding a variety of different recipes for ratatouille....all of them completely different from the next. I found one from Julia Childs that sounded really good, but it was made only with eggplant. I could have sworn I saw some sort of squash in the one from the movie. I kept searching and finally I found it: Remy's Ratatouille Recipe.

Delicious! And surprisingly easy to make. It could be even easier if you just use a delicious pasta sauce as your piperade rather than making your own sauce from scratch. I also recommend using fresh garlic....I used bought minced garlic and it just didn't have the flavor intensity that it should have. I did alter the piperade, because I didn't have peppers...I just increased my tomatoes. Also, I used a summer squash, a yellow squash, and an Italian eggplant.

What surprised me the most about this dish is that there was no cheese in it! I kept rereading the recipe thinking that I must have missed it, but I didn't. I think, if nothing else, I would probably sprinkle some Parmesan (fresh grated if you have it) over the top in the last 30 minutes of baking. I think it would just give it a little bit extra.

When I first read this recipe I just kept thinking this is an intense recipe, but really it's the cooking time that's intense...not so much the actual prep work. Another great trick to this would be to lay some chicken breasts in the bottom of the pan, then put your piperade on that and continue the recipe. I had a roast chicken from our store, that I took the breast off of and served that on the side with a bit of the piperade on top.

We'll definitely be adding this one to our new family favorites!


3 comments:

Amanda said...

That looks good!

Before baby and when I had more time in general, we had a cookbook that we would go through and make a new recipe out of every week. It was great, but we slacked off and quit doing it awhile ago. We need some more variety too.

manymanymoons said...

What a great new years resolution. I like one that gets the whole family involved. Just exactly what a resolution is supposed to be about. I am constantly looking for new recipes. Keep us post about the new ones you try!

Kateri said...

Funny I just took some frozen squash out of the freezer and am planning to try to make this with the eggplant that I marinated in olive oil last fall. I've never made it it with non fresh ingredients before so we will see how that works out.

I don't think I have ever had this dish with cheese--and I've had several versions of it.

LinkWithin