Saturday, November 1

It is with a heavy heart I write this post: Today is the last day that Louie will be with us. After several recent attacks upon his keepers it has been determined that for the safety and well-being of all he be served as dinner.

That's right ladies and gentlemen: Louie has cooked his goose, err chicken or whatever. He attacked me a couple of weeks ago when I was in the chicken run filling the feed and water. He flew up at my face and clawed my hand. I jumped back and knocked the base of my head against a 2x4. Yesterday, I was out in the pen again, filling the feed and water, he flew up at me and I put my arm up to protect myself and he clawed me and left a rather nasty gash across my fingers.

He's just not a nice fellow. You walk past the pen and he charges at the fence. Matt had wanted to keep him to try and get chicks in the spring, but after he was attacked by Louie it was agreed that Louie would be better in a stockpot.

It was rather an interesting time trying to catch a rather large, violent rooster. Matt was supposed to be in charge but after several (failed) attempts I was forced to step in. I had Louie in a position for Matt to grab him, several times. Matt didn't. Every time Louie would flap or fly-up Matt would slam the door on the chicken run, locking me inside with the crazed rooster. He claimed that he was afraid Louie would get out and then where would we be. In all honestly, I believe Matt was scared of the chicken. That's right, my 6'2", 195lb husband was frightened by a 10lb chicken.

I finally just went in the run and Louie did escape out of the run, and began running around our backyard (I really wish we had all of this on video). Our friend R was here. The three of us were corralling Louie, but none of the boys wanted to make the dive and grab him. Finally I got him in a corner, threw the blanket over him and picked him up. As simple as that. Once a chicken is pinned they will, most of the time, stop flapping and fighting. He was as calm as a sleepy puppy. I said my good-byes to him and put him in the box to go to my parents' house.

I believe we're having chicken for dinner next week.

I must say, Louie was THE MOST BEAUTIFUL! rooster I have ever seen. If it weren't for his temperament he'd still be with us. In all honestly our hens are already calmer without him being there. We'll miss him and his crowing, but I certainly won't miss worrying about his attacking me.

Here's the link to an album of Louie's pictures.

4 comments:

Manda said...

He really was gorgeous. Too bad he was evil... Hopefully he'll be a delicious dinner!

You are so much better at this than I would be. I wouldn't be able to eat him. I know, I know... Circle of life and all. I just couldn't do it. I'm such a baby.

~Jess said...

The only way I'll be able to eat him is to completely disassociate him with what I'm cooking: Matt took him alive and I get a chicken back that looks just like any other from the store. I'm ok with that.

Growing up when we would slaughter a 100 chickens (we raised meat chickens) in a day...I usually couldn't eat chicken for a couple of weeks.

Jill said...

At least you aren't having Louie for dinner tonight. He was a very beautiful rooster. He should've been nicer, however. lol

Elle Charlie said...

I can totally imagine that it sucked to be scared of him attacking you. Being afraid of animals is just no fun. It sounds like you made the absolute right choice. Sorry Matt was less than helpful though - men!

LinkWithin