Thursday, May 1

“When life gives you scraps make quilts”

OH MY GOODNESS! I'm shaking right now. I've just been the closest I will EVER be to history. Not just any history, but CIVIL WAR HISTORY!

My boss, a quilter, recently purchased 3 quilts through an auction, in the hopes that they would be authentic Civil War era quilts: They are! She's studied a lot about Civil War era quilts, fabrics, piecing, quilting etc. All evidence points to their authenticity.

Here are a few pictures:


The stitches are impeccable. The quilting patterns are so precise and creative. Here's a great website to tell you about Civil War quilts: There aren't many in existance because they were typically used until nothing existed. Whole quilts would be used to wrap the dead in, carry goods/possesions, as saddle pads on horses, people (soldiers) would strip them down to line clothes and shoes. Any bit of fabric was used for something. I'm just in awe!

1 comment:

sadie607 said...

That's amazing, I especially like the first one.

LinkWithin