Wednesday, April 2

Which came first? The chicken or the egg?

When I was growing up (I think I was 13, brother was 10, sister was 3) my parents were going through a series of farm ventures: Laying hens, meat chickens, meat rabbits, turkeys, pigs, and calves. The irony of this is that both of my parents grew up in The City, and had never been on a farm. I think we managed it pretty good. Farming is not really a profitable enterprise on a small scale.

Recently my mom has decided to get a few laying hens (all of our barnyard beasts 'disappeared' about 7 years ago). I had been thinking of the same thing all winter...how it would be nice to have fresh, REAL eggs again. Those of you who have seen the difference know what I am talking about. Golden-orangey yolks, flavor that is beyond perfection...mmm.

In this new venture (which is not for profit) my mom asked me and Matt to design and build a chicken tractor (which is a moveable hen house). For ourselves and our yard we want a stationery hen house. I was putzing around on the nest, while I stumbled across and awesome blog: http://thebackyardfarmer.blogspot.com/, which has the most beautiful hen house.

Soon we will be ordering or chicks and will begin building the hen house. It will be some time though before we can enjoy the fruits of our hens labor.

No comments:

LinkWithin